Unable to compile programs with libmDot-mbed5 using mbed cli

Home Forums mDot/xDot Unable to compile programs with libmDot-mbed5 using mbed cli

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Frank A
    Participant

Hi,

I have been trying for several hours to compile basic programs for the mDot using the mbed cli on my local machine, without any luck. I am able to compile those same programs on ARMmbed’s online IDE, and I am also able to use the local mbed cli to compile stuff in which the libmDot-mbed5 library is not present (e.g. mbed-os-example-blinky).

That being said, I was wondering if there were some known issues about the mbed cli and libmDot-mbed5?

Basically, when I try to compile locally with libmDot-mbed5 added to the project, I get an error output like this:

Compile [100.0%]: test_env.cpp
    Link: mbed-os-example-blinky
    ./BUILD/MTS_MDOT_F411RE/GCC_ARM/./main.o: In function log_error(mDot*, char const*, long)':
    main.cpp:(.text._Z9log_errorP4mDotPKcl+0x10): undefined reference to mDot::getReturnCodeString[abi:cxx11](long const&)'
    main.cpp:(.text._Z9log_errorP4mDotPKcl+0x1a): undefined reference to mDot::getLastError[abi:cxx11]()'
    ./BUILD/MTS_MDOT_F411RE/GCC_ARM/./main.o: In function main':

So it’s like the mDot class is not even present: the #include "mDot.h" does not appear to be causing the failure, but as soon as references start to get made to the mDot class, the compilation process fails.

Here is more information about my setup:

– mbed version: 1.1.1
    – OS: macOS Sierra 10.12.4
    – Python version 2.7.13
    – GCC_ARM: I tried with both “gcc-arm-none-eabi-6-2017-q1-update” and “gcc-arm-none-eabi-5_4-2016q3”
    – Basic program example that fails to compile locally, using mbed cli:
    – – mbed import mbed-os-example-blinky
    – – cd mbed-os-example-blinky
    – – mbed add http://mbed.org/teams/MultiTech/code/libmDot-mbed5/
    – – Replace content of “mbed-os-example-blinky/main.cpp” with that of “libmDot-mbed5/README.txt” (with appropriate modifications)

Again, the above works in the online IDE (and other examples like this work too in the online IDE; e.g. Multi-Tech/Dot-Examples),
    but it does not work on my local machine using the mbed cli.

Thank you very much for your time and support.

Frank

• This topic was modified 6 years, 11 months ago by Frank A.
    Mike Fiore
    Blocked

Francois,
    The update to support GCC_ARM v5 and v6 in mbed-os is very recent. Prior to that update, only up to and including v4.9 was supported. The Dot Library is compiled with GCC_ARM v4.9, so I don’t think those binary builds are compatible with GCC_ARM v5 and v6. Can you try using GCC_ARM v4.9?

Cheers,
    Mike

Frank A
    Participant

Mike,

Thank you for your quick response!

I tried with v4.9 of the GCC ARM compiler as you suggested and it worked.

Thank you very much for your time and support. A+ 🙂

Frank

Mike Fiore
    Blocked

Frank,
    Happy to help! Thanks for choosing MultiTech!

Cheers,
    Mike

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.