Node-RED information output problems

Home Forums General Node-RED information output problems

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    John Li
    Participant

Hi,

I am using the Multitech mDot and Conduit for LoRa transmission. I can now send message from mDot to Conduit by AT Command and the Conduit can send messages back to mDot by Node-RED. But I still have 2 questions.

1. The Conduit now can only send message to mDot when it receives a message from mDot, this is a kind of passive. Can it send message to mDot whenever I want? Even though it does not receive a message from mDot.

2. Now I want to export the information I received on Conduit to another file or port so that I can process it, and it will be better if it is through serial port. How can I do it? I have tried the serial output port on Node-RED, but it seems that the Conduit cannot be directly connected to serial port and it shows that “port cannot open” on Node-RED. Is my configuration for serial port wrong? Or can I export the information in other ways?

Best,
    John

Jason Reiss
    Keymaster

See End-Device Classes section
    http://www.multitech.net/developer/software/lora/introduction-to-lora/

We will support Class C in next mDot release.

Jeff Hatch
    Keymaster

Which serial port were you trying to use? The Multi-Serial nodes in Node-RED on the Conduit are for interfacing with the MTAC Serial cards that you can plug into the Conduit. Are you trying to use the USB host port on the back of the Conduit?

Jeff

John Li
    Participant

Thank you for your reply. Yes I am trying to use the USB host port on the back for serial communication with PC. Can I achieve it?

Jeff Hatch
    Keymaster

Are you trying to talk to a terminal program on the other end like minicom or are you trying to write to a mass storage device that is connected to the USB host port? What are you using to communicate on the other end on your PC?

Jeff

John Li
    Participant

I am trying to talk to a terminal program on PC hoping to send commands from PC and export files on Conduit to the PC. My goal is to extract the information received at Conduit to PC so that I can process it. Is there any feasible way to achieve it?

Thanks for your reply!

Jeff Hatch
    Keymaster

John,

The Conduit does have minicom and a busybox version of microcom. You could probably use one of those to write to the USB serial device and receive the data on the other end on the PC.

Jeff

John Li
    Participant

Thanks Jeff,

That is great! Do you have any detailed instructions or useful links on how to achieve these functions?

John

Jeff Hatch
    Keymaster

John,

There is tons of stuff online about using minicom. Searching on Google for “minicom commands” gives links to the man page and numerous other helpful links depending on what you are trying to do.

Jeff

John Li
    Participant

Currently I am using serial communication software like TeraTerm for AT Command. But I am not familiar with SSH communication. Do you mean that I need to use Minicom to SSH into the Conduit? And do you have any instructions on how to SSH into the Conduit? Thanks so much.

John

Jeff Hatch
    Keymaster

John,

If you have a terminal program running on the PC, you could also use a terminal program on the Conduit to send files to the PC from the Conduit. However, it sounds like you are trying to use the command line on the Conduit. Is that correct?

Jeff

John Li
    Participant

Hi Jeff,

Yes I am trying to use command line to control the Conduit, is it possible? If you said I can use a terminal program on the Conduit to access the files, how may I achieve it? Because the document I can find on Multitech website is the Node-RED, or I need a computer running Linux to realize this function?

Thanks,
    John

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.