Installing nodes in Node Red for gateway

Home Forums Conduit: AEP Model Installing nodes in Node Red for gateway

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Eliz
    Participant

Hi

I have seen that there are a few other discussions on this topic but I am still very unsure how to do it? I do know that I have the AEP 1.2.2 version (checked with UI), and therefore npm should already be installed. I have also played around with Node.js and Node red on pc and have successfully installed multiple nodes on a different node red than the conduit’s node red by using the node.js command prompt window. But I have absolutely no idea how to add nodes to the Node Red of the Conduit – assume I know nothing… 0_o. Like I am even unsure what programs or windows or views to open or where to type the npm commands – as I said no idea.

If someone can please give me advice on this or instructions on where to look or to start?

Eliz
    Participant

Bit of an update from my side – I went back to basics and came upon 2 sentences in that said that one could communicate with the conduit by using the linux commands if one installs cygwin or by using terra term or putty with ssh on port 22. I definitely missed this previously. So, as soon as the root@mtcdt:~# appeared after logging in I typed npm install node-red-my-new-node. This appeared to install successfully – at least there were no errors in the terminal displayed. I then also restarted node-red from the conduit UI.

However, my new nodes have not appeared in Node Red. Advice?

Jeff Hatch
    Keymaster

Eliz,

I think that there is a –prefix argument that you might need to specify in order to get the nodes to install in the appropriate place for Node-RED to find them. On Conduit I have used “–prefix /opt/node-red and it has worked in the past.

Jeff

Eliz
    Participant

Hi Jeff

Thank you for the answer. I have been playing around with this installation and trying to install in /opt/node-red and it is still not showing up in my palette. 🙁 Is there someplace I can maybe get the necessary prefix needed? What I mean is how do I know what the prefix should be?

Jeff Hatch
    Keymaster

Eliz,

Have you rebooted the Conduit and reconnected to Node-RED after it came back up? People have seen the nodes not show up until they did a reboot. If you can, check to see if the new node has been installed in /opt/node-red in either the nodes or node_modules directory.

Jeff

Eliz
    Participant

Jeff

thanks for the advice – I was busy rebooting node red until I was blue in the face but didn’t reboot the conduit – I think that was one of my problems.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.