xDot wont start issues

Home Forums mDot/xDot xDot wont start issues

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Lindsay
    Participant

Hi,

I’m seeing some strange effects on the xDot, namely that after making a small change to the code, it refuses to output anything, then after removing the change it works again.

For example, just by adding:
    AnalogIn sensorRead(PROBE_PIN1);

causes the application to not start and output anything. Removing it makes it work again.

I’ve checked memory usage and its no where near the max

Could it be related to this issue on mbed-os githup repo:

Fix STM32 crashes on boot due to unset VTOR
    Remove HAL_Init and related code from SystemInit and move it to
    mbed_sdk_init. The function SystemInit is called early in the boot
    sequence before RAM is initialized or the VTOR is setup, so it should
    not be used to perform the HAL initialization.

This fixes crashes due the vector table being used before it has been
    relocated.

This doesnt appear to be in the main code release yet only, I’m guessing, the offline code.

Thanks

Andrew

Mike Fiore
    Blocked

Andrew,

What mbed-os version are you using? Does you application include the Dot Library or any other libraries? What versions of those libraries are you using?

Cheers,
    Mike

Andrew Lindsay
    Participant

I was using the last stable libxDot-mbed5 and this had issues so tried the latest libxDot-dev-mbed5 (including your recent fixes today) with the correct release of mbed-os for each.

other libraries include are for DS18B20 and another I2C battery monitor device.

Cheers

Andrew

Mike Fiore
    Blocked

Andrew,

Do you have a simple application (Dot-Examples for instance) that reproduces the issue reliably?

Cheers,
    Mike

Andrew Lindsay
    Participant

Not been able to produce a simple application that demonstrates this. I thought it had gone away but seems to be back. Any tips on debugging this other than removing and adding bits of code to see where it fails?

thanks

Andrew

Mike Fiore
    Blocked

Andrew,

Did the application reproduce with libxDot-dev or just libxDot? This may indicate that a certain mbed-os version has a bug and another version does not.

It is possible to debug your application (excluding the Dot Library code as it isn’t compiled with debug symbols) using OpenOCD and GDB. You’d want to use the cmsis-dap interface config file and the stm32l1 target config file.

Strange that adding a object declaration in the global space before main causes problems. I think I recall some issues with initialization order in earlier mbed-os versions. I think it was reproduced similar to what you’re doing – adding a global object before main.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!
    -Mike

Andrew Lindsay
    Participant

OK, update now. I did a bit of reorganising the way the different parts get initialised and this seems to have fixed it for now.

Cheers

Andrew

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.