sms-utils package install error

Home Forums MultiConnect OCG sms-utils package install error

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    JM K
    Participant

Hi,

I ran into this error while I was trying to install the sms-utils package on the cdp unit:

Collected errors:

* ERROR: Cannot Satisfy the following dependencies for sms-utils:

* libesmtp (>=1.0.4) * libyaml-0.2 (>=0.1.3) *

* Cannot find package sms-utils.

Any suggestions on how to solve this would be very much appreciated. Thank you very much and have a great day.

Best Regards,

JM

Jesse Gilles
    Blocked

As the error indicates, you also need to install libesmtp and libyaml since sms-utils depends on them.

If you’re building sms-utils into your image and then re-flashing the unit, then this is taken care of automatically.

If you are manually installing the package by copying the ipk file to the unit and running opkg, then you need to also provide all need dependencies.

The third option is to set up a package feed on your development machine so that you can run ‘opkg install sms-utils’ on the CDP and have it download and install everything that is needed.

See the documentation on multitech.net for more information.

Thanks,

Jesse

JM K
    Participant

Thank you very much, Jesse. I have installed both packages ‘libesmtp’ and ‘libyaml’. I am manually installing the package by copying the ipk file to the unit and running opkg. After having bitbaked both libesmtp and libyaml from the terminal, I changed the revision number in the sms-utils.inc file and tried rebuilding the sms-utils package and yet I am getting the same error message. Does providing the ‘need dependency’ mean that I have to provide copies of libesmtp and libyaml in the same directory as ‘sms-utils’? Here is the sms-utils.inc file:

DESCRIPTION = “SMS Utilities”

HOMEPAGE = “http://www.multitech.net/”

SECTION = “console/utils”

PRIORITY = “optional”

LICENSE = “GPL”

DEPENDS = “libsmtp libyaml”

SRC_URI = “git://git.multitech.net/sms-utils.git;protocol=git;tag=${PV}”

S = “${WORKDIR}/git”

inherit autotools

PARLELL_MAKE = “”

Thank you very much and have a great day.

Best Regards,

JM

JM K
    Participant

Hi,

I have installed both packages, libesmtp and libyaml successfully and also managed to solve the errors I have been facing while installing the sms-utils package. I have now successfully installed the sms-utils package on the CDP unit. When I issue the command:

# sms-send xxxxxxxxxx

I am getting this error:

[NOTICE] atcmd.c:atcmd_read:284: read timeout

Any suggestions on how to solve this would be very much appreciated.

Best Regards,

JM

Jesse Gilles
    Blocked

Good, glad you got it working.

Did you edit your $HOME/.smsconfig file to use the correct port for your modem? You need to edit the “device:” line to use the right port depending on which model of CDP you have. Otherwise, you can set the device using the command line options.

http://www.multitech.net/developer/products/cellular-development-platform/applications/sms-utils/

JM K
    Participant

Hi Jesse,

Thank you for the quick reply. I changed the device in the ${HOME}/.smsconfig to USB0, as the device I am working with is an MTCDP-EV2 model. I changed the revision number and then once again bitbaked the sms-utils. I am still getting the same error after having installed the package on the unit. Do I need to change anything else in the ${HOME}/.smsconfig file?

Thank you for your help. Have a great day.

Best Regards,

JM

Jesse Gilles
    Blocked

If you are running as root on the CDP, then the .smsconfig should be in /home/root/.smsconfig, so you can just copy the file over using scp and then try it or edit on the box with vi or nano. If that is still giving issues, try passing the –device option on the command line when you run the app. If you run ‘sms’ with no options, it should print out a usage.

JM K
    Participant

Hi Jesse,

I copied the .smsconfig file using the scp to the device. I made sure it is in the /home/root directory on the device. I was still getting the same error so I connected to minicom and issued the AT command to make sure communication was present and I got an OK response. I could even voice call a phone number. Then I logged back in to the device and when I issued this command: sms send xxxxxxxx (where xxxxxxxxx was the phone number) I got this error: [ERROR] utils.c:device_lock:265: failed to create /var/lock/LCK..tty USB0: File exists, then I looked up the file LCK..tty USB0 using nano and it contained one line: 1578. I deleted this file and then from /var/temp again issued the command: sms send xxxxxxxx (where xxxxxxxxx was the phone number), I got the same error: [NOTICE] atcmd.c:atcmd_read:284: read timeout. I have copied the .smsconfig file for reference.

user:

name: User name

email: user@gmail.com

core:

verbose: false

interactive: true

sms-init: true

baud-rate: 230400

read-timeout: 5000

device: /dev/ttyUSB0

#device: /dev/ttyUSB3

#device: /dev/rfcomm0

msg-store-read: ME

msg-store-send: ME

pb-store: ME

editor: nano

edit-file: “{HOME}/.smsmsg”

smtp:

server: smtp.gmail.com

port: 587

user: user@gmail.com

passwd: pwsswd

encryption: tls

send-email:

domain: txt.att.net

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thank you very much.

Best Regards,

JM

Jesse Gilles
    Blocked

Sorry I didn’t realize this earlier — the sms-utils packages doesn’t currently support the EV2 radio. You can still send/receive SMS with it, but at the moment you’d have to write a utility to do it using the AT commands documented in the manual for the radio. We are hoping to update the sms-utils to support the EV2 in the future.

http://www.multitech.net/developer/products/cellular-development-platform/references/

JM K
    Participant

Hi Jesse,

I have tried sending out and receiving sms by logging into minicom and using the AT prefix commands and the unit is working fine. I am trying to write a small application that accepts a message in the form of a text file (gedit) and sends an sms to a custom phone number also entered by the user. Since the sms-utils does not support the EV2 radio, can you suggest where to start looking, code/references, that I go through to get a basic idea how I could write my application? Thank you very much and have a great day.

Best Regards,

JM

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.