Querying Status of Custom App from Node-Red.

Home Forums Conduit: AEP Model Querying Status of Custom App from Node-Red.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ajay K
    Participant

I have installed a custom App and it shows up in the Apps section in the Conduit Admin ui screen. There is a button there to Start & Stop the custom App. I was hoping to do the same from the node-red application. How can I query the status of the custom application (in terms of running/stopped) and mimic the same behavior of the button on the App.html web page.

I am just asking in the interest of saving time and not re-inventing the wheel on trying to implement the same functionality from node-red?

Thanks,
    Ajay

Jeff Hatch
    Keymaster

Ajay,

Details on the status of a custom application integrated with the Custom Application Management in Conduit can be found here:

http://www.multitech.net/developer/software/aep/creating-a-custom-application/application-status/

The status.json file is what is being read by the Web UI for the status information.

You can start and stop your application you can use app-manager:

app-manager –command start –appId

Or you could execute the Start script directly from your application.

Jeff

Ajay K
    Participant

Thanks Jeff for your response. I was hoping the start/stop was being executed via one of the AEP Web API Command endpoints. So currently the Web UI uses the app-manager to start and stop the application?

Thanks,
    Ajay

Jeff Hatch
    Keymaster

Ajay,

There is an API entry point at api/customApps in the Web UI. Here is an example of stopping an app:

admin@mtcdt:/var/config# curl -X POST -H ‘Content-Type: application/json’ -d ‘{}’ 127.0.0.1/api/customApps/58a4d0d85b1b015a89000006/stop
    {
    “code” : 200,
    “status” : “success”
    }

The trick will be to get the appId -> 58a4d0d85b1b015a89000006. You can get that from the output of:

curl -s 127.0.0.1/api/customApps

which will return something like this:

{
    “code” : 200,
    “result” : [
    {
    “_id” : “58a4d0d85b1b015a89000006”,
    “description” : “Basic web server running on port 3000. Firewall is opened on install. node_modules is included in the tarball. Utilizes all custom app functionality including environment variables, custom status file, config file, and install scripts.”,
    “info” : “Listening on port 3000 as of Mon May 01 2017 18:09:18 GMT+0000 (UTC)”,
    “name” : “express-hello-world”,
    “status” : “STOPPED”,
    “version” : “1.4”,
    “versionNotes” : “Implement restart and reload in the Start script”
    }
    ],
    “status” : “success”
    }

Jeff

Ajay K
    Participant

Hi Jeff,

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond and write out a detailed way to start/stop the custom app. I did try to get the custom App Id based of the suggestion above. I am not sure why though the appId is written out as “LOCAL“. Is that correct? The custom app was installed on the conduit flash.

Thanks,
    Ajay.

Jeff Hatch
    Keymaster

Ajay,

The LOCAL appID should work to start and stop your application. Since you did a local install, and not from DeviceHQ, your app was assigned the appId of LOCAL. Currently, the way app-manager works, it was intended to only manage one LOCAL app at a time, so if you install a second, you may not get the behavior you want.

In my example, the application was installed by downloading it from DeviceHQ.

Jeff

Ajay K
    Participant

Jeff,

I was able to both start/stop the application from node-red based of the URL you had mentioned earlier and I used the http request node. Also the LOCAL id worked perfectly well.

Thanks once again for your timely responses.

Thanks,
    Ajay

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.