MTSMC-H5.R2-SP with MTUDK2-ST-CELL: Only echoing back AT commands

Home Forums General MTSMC-H5.R2-SP with MTUDK2-ST-CELL: Only echoing back AT commands

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Fahad Moiz
    Participant

Hello,

I am doing some initial evaluation of MTSMC-H5.R2-SP withe MTUDK2-ST-CELL. Using the serial port J4 on MTUDK2-ST-CELL, I was able to execute AT+GMI and receive back response stating manufacturer is Telit and an “OK.” Then I sent some other commands to which I received “ERROR.”

Now the modem only echoes back the command I am sending. Even AT+GMI does not respond with manufacturer info. No matter what command I send (http://www.multitech.com/documents/publications/manuals/telit_3g_modules_at_commands_reference_guide_r9.pdf), it just gets echoed back to me. I do not think sending AT commands would “break” the modem.

I am using a serial terminal monitor to do this. I have tried resetting the modem using the push buttom on MTUDK2-ST-CELL, uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers of the modem from my PC, nothing has worked.

All this was done without a SIM card and antenna attached, as I figured we can at least get internal data to display.

Another question I have is about the cellular antenna connection from the MTUDK2-ST-CELL to MTSMC-H5.R2-SP. Which U.FL connector is to be used? There are two, labelled “A” and “M.” And where does the GPS antenna get connected?

Also, I noticed that the red COM Led is always blinking and the STAT led is always off.

I was not able to any documents that lists initial testing procedures. Please let me know if there is one.

Any and every help is appreciated.

Thank you
    Fahad Moiz

Steve Kovarik

Hello Fahad

Do you know what commands you issued the modem prior to it stop working? What LED’s are lit on the Developer Board. Regarding the antenna connector, use the “M” for Main antenna and use the “A” for auxiliary for 2nd diversity antenna if two antennas are used. The model MTSMC-H5-.R2 does not inherently support GPS, so there no GPS antenna connector.

Fahad Moiz
    Participant

Hi Steve,

Thank you for replying.

The commands I tried were: AT, AT+GMI, AT+GMM, AT+GMR, A/ and AT#/.

Initially I did receive reply for AT with an OK and AT+GMM with Telit. I remember typing commands incorrectly to which I received ERROR. In addition, last Friday I sent a few AT and left everything ON and went for lunch :). After returning I saw “NO CARRIER” so I sent another AT and received a reply of OK. Now I am not able to get that either. I can not duplicate any results.

For LEDs, at power up, PWR and D2 turn ON for a second, then D4, D5 and D8 turn ON. Then after a second D2, D4 and D8 turn OFF leaving PWR, D5 and D6 ON.

Then when I connect the serial cable to my PC, D7 and D3 do some blinking and turn OFF. Opening the COM port with terminal monitoring software turns ON D7 and D3 and they remain ON. When sending a command I see a very quick blink on D0 and D1.

The red COM LED keeps blinking.

On the Developer Board there are three SMA connectors for the antennae. The quick start guide says to “Determine which SMA connector you want to use for the antenna,” and does not specify, therefore, I am assuming it does not matter which two I use and that either can be “A” or “M.” Please correct me if I am wrong.

For the SIM card, does it have to be specifically for 3G as MTSMC-H5-.R2 is a 3G modem, or a 4G LTE SIM will work? The reason I ask is because now most carriers here (Canada) have LTE SIM and some also have NFC capability for mobile pay. I will have to request the carrier to provide me with 3G SIM if that is what is required. Please let me know.

Thank you for all your help.

Fahad

Steve Kovarik

Hi Fahad

The modem should accept AT Comamnds with/or without a SIM card installed. I would recommend that you remove then reinstall the modem on the developer board. I’d recommend to secure the modem on the dev board with the 2 screws and try it again. The LED’s seem correct. Communicate with the modem using format 115200bps, 8, none, 1, CTS/RTS hardware flow control enabled. Use the DE9 serial cable provided with the Dev Kit if possible. Any SMA on the Dev board can be interfaced to the “M” main cellular antenna of the modem. I have been successful using a 4G SIM in our 3G modems, so it should work. Let us know how it goes.

-Best Regards

-Stevek

Fahad Moiz
    Participant

Hey Steve,

Unfortunately after doing as you recommended, there is still only echoing of commands I send. The developer board only came with a micro USB cable not a DE9 serial cable. I am using the one I have from FTDI (CHIPI-X10). Settings in the serial monitor software (AccessPort) are:
    Baud Rate: 115200
    Parity Bit: None
    Data Bit: 8
    Stop Bit: 1
    Flow Control: RTS/CTS(Hardware)

I have used the cable and the serial monitor for other devices and they work fine. In fact, they worked with the modem for the first two commands as well. However, now the modem just echos back whatever I send to it, even non AT commands do not respond with “ERROR.”

Do you think I need to re-flash the modem with its firmware?? If so where can I get that from?

Thank you for all your help.

Fahad

Steve Kovarik

Hi Fahad

At this point I would encourage you to register and open a support portal case at https://support.multitech.com/support/login.html

We can perform additional troubleshooting and the portal allows file sharing.

-Best Regards

-Stevek

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.