iSms ToPhoneNumber length incorrect

Home Forums iSMS iSms ToPhoneNumber length incorrect

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Kirk Bennett
    Participant

I sent thru Sms to try and get an error by only sending in a 9 digit phone number. Does the iSms Server not validate the phone number length? Also, it keeps emailing saying log is full. I couldn’t find a way to clear the log.

Jeff Blees
    Blocked

Hi Kirk,

The system is some what liberal when it comes to phone numbers. I do not know the behavior for all possible scenarios (but I think the following covers most).

If the number you tell us to send to is not valid (rout-able by Telco), Telco will respond back with an CME error (usually error CME: 21). For scenarios that result in a CME error, we will try to send it 3 times and if all 3 attempts result in a CME error, it will then be listed in the “SMS Failure Log” trace.

If you submit a number that contains a non-numerical character, we will strip it our and then submit to telco (dial) the remaining string.

We do not attempt dial strings that surpass the total number of digits defined in our “International Number” menu (SMS Services menu) when the “Disable International Number” option is checked (which is on by default). If a message is submitted with a To Number that surpasses the max length, we accept it from you, but then never try to dial it (it too will instead be listed in the SMS Failure log). If this International Number option is not checked, we do not look for a maximum length (however there probably is a max length for the To phone number input field of the Send SMS menu).

If the number you’ve submitted to us, is less than the max length defined in the International Number menu – we’ll try to send to it (for scenarios related to within the same area code, and sending to a “short code” number).

Regarding the Log File Full email notifications. We have various logs in the system – when any one log fills up, it will be emailed to the administrator (when the email option is enabled – see administration menu – the option is off by default). The emails do not specify which log it is – you have to open the attachment to know).

Being you are mentioning this log file full email – perhaps you are receiving too many for your liking? There could be more than one reason for this.

Do you have a multi port unit, that has all it’s ports enabled, yet not all ports have a SIM physically installed? Ports without a SIM should be “unchecked” in the Cellular Modem setup menu (sub menu of the Network Setup menu). Otherwise we constantly try to init modem – which leads to a full log file rather quickly.

Sincerely

Jeff Blees

Engineering Technician

Kirk Bennett
    Participant

Got an 8-port and I did go in and disable all but the first one, just like you originally told me when I bought it. The log comes once a week. I didn’t know it that would prevent the modem from working if the log filled up. Numbers less than ten make sense…I forgot about Short Codes. My app checks length anyway. What about the apimsgid the modem assigns, does this ever start over? What if I have two devices? Will I need to track per device then ID?

Jeff Blees
    Blocked

Hi Kirk,

I’m sorry but I can’t find a record of us working together before (maybe you were working with Jeff Kline – you have some cases in our Portal with him).

Neither your initial comments or my reply, in today’s thread, say anything about the iSMS not working when a log file becomes full. Are you having a failure?

Emailing the logs is part of a maintenance function. If you do not want to receive the periodic emails – “delete” the “Log File Full” item in the “Send Email Notification for” column in the Administration menu. Then when the log file becomes full, it gets renamed and backed up locally in the /var/log/ folder on the iSMS server. Then after 3 cycles of it being backed up/renamed – it gets deleted.

I’m not sure what all the variables are to the msgid number that is generated by our send API.

I know if you default the box it will start over.

I goes up to at least 99999.

A system reboot/restart does not cause the number to start over.

If your APP uses (submits to more than one) iSMS server, then Yes, you will have to track separately. The msgid generated by each iSMS server is independent of the other server.

There is an alternative to this. You can utilize our “Load Balancing” feature – however it’ really not a balancing feature. It’s more of load sharing when I get too busy feature. The current online User Guide is quite accurate with it’s description of the feature. You only have to submit to one unit, but you have no control over which unit is used to send out the message.

I’ll look into the msgid rollover question more and get back to you.

Sincerely

Jeff Blees

Engineering Technician

Kirk Bennett
    Participant

Maybe if was Jeff Kline. I new the Jeff part was right. I’m not having any problems. It’s working great during my testing. I just want to make sure I didn’t have to take action when it sends me the log. Is the apimsgid generation tied to the device or to the port? If I send sms out port 1 and it gets apimsgid = 1, then I send sms out port 2 (both in the same device) will it get apimsgid = 2 ? Also do I have to specify a port number when I perform a querymsg?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.