iSMS future?

Home Forums iSMS iSMS future?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    John Lloyd
    Participant

I’m set to buy an iSMS server to replace the USB attached cellular modem we’ve using (with our SolarWinds servers). How concerned should I be with the 2G limitation?

Darrik Spaude
    Keymaster

Hi John,

Some of the carriers have already announced plans to shut down 2G networks over the next few years. However, some carriers find that they can offer services to low-bandwidth customers, so it is hard to know which carrier will want to keep it live and which will for sure disable support.

The current iSMS line (SFx00-G) only supports 2G networks. However, our Escalation group is looking into what it would take to create a 3G-capable model (we know it will involve a hardware change, but we don’t know how much time will be needed to make the software changes).

When we have some more information I’ll try to remember to write back to this thread. I’ll copy this thread’s URL into the task we’ve set up for the investigation so that we see it.

Andrew Costigan
    Participant

Hi guys

Any update on this thread?

2 of the 3 Australian mobile carriers have announced that they will be shutting down 2G next year. It is only a matter of time before the third one does the same. It would be nice to be able to just swap over the hardware instead of rebuilding our entire SMS solution.

Cheers.

Darrik Spaude
    Keymaster

Since the time I wrote my comment in March 2015, the Product Managers have decided to discontinue the iSMS line. Right now the iSMS is in the “Near End-of-Life” state. We had talked about being able to create a 3G replacement card, but that idea was rejected.

If there is enough demand heard through the sales group (e.g. customers contact MultiTech Sales), then the Product Managers may take another look at it.

Sorry,
    Darrik

Paul Smith
    Participant

I am also curious about this.. Sale pointed us to the rCell Model MTR as a replacement for the iSMS, but I think this was incorrect as there is no API interface for sending SMS messages (unless it’s undocumented). I’m too am looking for a replacement for the iSMS gateway as it’s aging out of the network that we use. API/CURL requests to send simple SMS messages what I need, on a CDMA network.

Jeff Hatch
    Keymaster

Paul,

There is an undocumented API call to send an SMS on the rCell Model MTR. There is some discussion of it in this thread:

http://www.multitech.net/developer/forums/search/?bbp_search=SMS+API

We will be trying to update the API documentation in the future. In summary, to send a text through the API you can make a CURL request to:

https://conduit_ip/api/command/sms_send

with Json data in the following format:

{“recipients”: “phone_number”, “message”:”message text”}

Jeff

Paul Smith
    Participant

Thank you so much Jeff. Is this API feature also available on the smaller MTC series? I think the MTR’s are probably overkill for what we were wanting to do.

Jeff Hatch
    Keymaster

Paul,

At this time I do not believe that we have anything else with an API with the same SMS capabilities.

Sorry,

Jeff

Brian EARTH
    Participant

Hi !
    Well I’m still using my SF100 here in France on SFR …
    Still working well after many years (one power supply changed only !!)
    But here we have 4G/3G now … I’ve just read that in France 2G should be available up to 2021/2024 depending of the carrier …

But it’s a pity that Multitech discontinued that product 🙁

See Ya

Brian EARTH
    Participant

Hi !! My SF100 is still ok in France on 2022/09/05 !!!
    TX/RX ok !!!!

Am i alone in that case lol ???

That was a great product that should have been kept udated :'(

Brian

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.