Internet Connection by Gateway

Home Forums Conduit: AEP Model Internet Connection by Gateway

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Görkem Polat
    Participant

Hi,

Conduit is connected to PC by ethernet port. When I test the LoRa end device, I make a connection between my cell phone and PC via teamviewer to see wether gateway receive data or not. I observe the screen of my PC for debug purposes.

Yet, PC get connected to the internet though the GSM connection in Conduit, that drains Internet packets. Instead of this, I want PC to get connected to the internet via wireless network in the office.

What settings should be made?

Jeff Hatch
    Keymaster

Görkem,

Is the ethernet interface on the PC that is connected to the AEP Conduit getting its address through DHCP or is it static? If it is getting a DHCP address from the Conduit, you can prevent the PC from passing traffic through the Conduit with firewall rules on the Conduit. If it is static, then you need to make sure that the default route points to a gateway other than AEP.

When the Conduit DHCP server gives out IP’s and gateway information due to the way the kernel on the PC is handling routing, I think that the gateway provided by the Conduit is overriding the gateway for the wireless network.

Jeff

Görkem Polat
    Participant

Hi Jeff,

When the Conduit DHCP server gives out IP’s and gateway information due to the way the kernel on the PC is handling routing, I think that the gateway provided by the Conduit is overriding the gateway for the wireless network.

I totally agree with your point.

I am confused on how to set up firewall settings. Shall I disable ‘Allow Outbound’ or shall I change its target setting to drop or reject?

Thanks

Jeff Hatch
    Keymaster

Görkem,

Before you try to solve this with firewall rules, check to see if you can configure the PC interface to do DHCP with “addresses only”. I know Linux has this ability, Windows can probably do it too. That way the PC will only get the address for the interface, and will not accept gateway and DNS information from the Conduit.

Jeff

Görkem Polat
    Participant

Hi Jeff,

I think we could not manage to do it in Windows. How can we do it with Firewall settings in Conduit?

Thanks

Görkem Polat
    Participant

Any solution on how to configure Firewall settings in Conduit?

Jeff Hatch
    Keymaster

Görkem,

I have been away on vacation for a little while and things were very hectic when I got back last week. Have you been able to make any progress with firewall rules used to block your PC from using the AEP Conduit for Internet access? If not you should be able to make a Forwarding Drop rule with your PC’s address as the source address of the rule.

Jeff

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.