Identifying SocketModem Device type…

Home Forums General Identifying SocketModem Device type…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Rick Reynolds
    Participant

Does anyone know of a single AT command that can be used across all SocketModem products which will reliably identify the device type. i.e. GPRS/GSM, CDMA, HSPA, IP, WiFi… I am using a mix of the standard Cell and the iCell products.

Or are there device specific commands/responses that I could iterate through, that will do the same?

We developed a single embedded device that may implement any of the above devices for communications. And, the device in any system may change in the field. So, I need a reliable method of determining the exact device type.

I have been using AT+GCAP. If it returns +CGSM then I drill down using ATI, if it returns +G850 then it’s GSM/GPRS, if +CGSM it’s HSPA(AU). If AT+GCAP returns CIS707 then it’s CDMA device. I don’t currently have an Socket IP or WiFi device to work with but i imagine it will be a whole new set of commands and responses required to identify them.

Is there a simpler and more reliable method of doing this?

Darrik Spaude
    Keymaster

Resolution to this question was done via Multi-Tech’s Support Portal. However, I will post the general resolution to this question here for others to see.

There really isn’t a “simple” way to determine the device type. Some amount of comparing against known devices used by Multi-Tech will be needed. The ATI3 command usually gives the name of the radio used in the product. For example, knowing that a “WMP50” is known as Multi-Tech’s “G2” product, then you would know it is a GSM device. The SocketModem IP and SocketModem WiFi respond to ATI with the model name (MT100SEM-IP and MT800SWM-IP, respectively).

Rick Reynolds
    Participant

Thanks Darrik. I am using ATI3 now and have response values that seem to be relaible. I have only tried this with the G2, C1 and H4 modems so far.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.