I can receive SMS messages but I can not send SMS messages

Home Forums Conduit: AEP Model I can receive SMS messages but I can not send SMS messages

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Furrukh Khan
    Participant

Dear MULTITECH support team:

We got delivery of a MultiConnect Conduit (MTCDT-H5-210A, Firmware1.0.33) kit a few days ago. I am able to send LoRa messages and receive them in Node Red. However I am having problems with SMS messaging. I can receive SMS messages on the Conduit (Node Red application) from other cell phones but I can not send SMS messages (in Node Red) from the conduit to my cell phone. My cell phone happens to be an Android phone. There is a “sending” indication in Node Red when I send a message but it never arrives on my cell phone. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Here are the specifics:

Dual SIM Card installed in the conduit
    Model Net10 Wireless Unlimited Nationwide 4G LTE (From the packaging: Works with most compatible or unlocked GSM phones including 4G LTE and HSPA+, Android and other smart Phones)

Wireless Plan
    Net10 Wireless 30-DAY Unlimited Wireless Plan

After activating the Sim card from Net10 Wireless’ site the phone number and other fields like phone number and PPP settings got automatically populated in the Conduit.

Here is more info taken from the Conduit admin GUI:

Gateway
    Model Number MTCDT-H5-210A
    Firmware 1.0.33
    WAN Transport Cellular

Cellular (ppp0)
    Mode PPP
    State PPP Link is up

Signal Two bars

IP Address 10.118.26.53
    DNS 172.20.64.179, 172.20.64.180

Roaming No
    Phone Number <assigned phone number from Net10>
    Tower 4E88D3A
    Cellular Configuration

General Configuration
    Enabled <checked>
    Connect Timeout 90
    Dialing Max Retries 0
    Dial-on-Demand <unchecked>
    Diversity <unchecked>

Modem Configuration
    Dial Number *99***1#
    Connect String CONNECT
    Dial Prefix ATDT
    SIM Pin <Blank>
    APN RSELLER
    Int String1 AT+CSQ

Authentication
    Authentication Type NONE

Keep Alive
    ICMP/TCP Check
    Enabled <Not Checked>
    Data Receive Monitor
    Enabled <Not Checked>
    —————————–
    Radio Status

Module Information
    Manufacturer Telit
    Model HE910-D
    Hardware Revision 1.0
    MDN (Phone Number) <assigned phone number from Net10

MSID 0710782233
    Firmware Version 12.00.024

Engineering Details
    Tx Pwr -128
    PSC 131
    Ec/Io -4.0
    RSCP -102
    DRX 128
    Mobility Management State 19
    Radio Resource State 4
    Network Operator Mode 2
    Block Error Rate 000
    Service Domain CS+PS

Service Information
    Home Network AT&T Wireless Inc.
    RSSI -93 dBm
    Service HSDPA
    Roaming No

Thanks!

Furrukh Khan

Jeff Hatch
    Keymaster

Furrukh,

Everything that you have sent looks fine. I do not think that we have tested this radio with a Net-10 SIM, especially with a dual. Since you can receive, you should be able to send.

One place to look to see if the messages actually got to the Conduit is to look in /var/conf/sms/inbox, and see if there are any messages in there. To get to that directory either log in via ssh to the Conduit or log in at the debug console.

Jeff Hatch

Brandon Bayer
    Blocked

Furrukh,

What sms content you are trying to send?

Try sending an sms from the linux command line to rule out Node-RED interface issues. To do this, ssh into the Conduit using the same credentials as the web GUI and run this command:
    sms -vd /dev/modem_at1 send 8881231234 but replace the phone number with your own cell phone. That will open the vi editor where you can press i, type a message, press esc, then type :wq to close vim and send the message.

Paste the output here.

-Brandon

Furrukh Khan
    Participant

Thanks for the prompt response!

I followed Brandon’s suggestion and send an sms message from the linux command line using a SSH client and it worked perfectly. I received the message on my cell phone. I tried it multiple times and it worked every time. Then I tried sending an sms message from Node-RED and it did not work. I am sending simple “Hello world” type of messages. My Node-RED program is very simple. It has an Inject input node and an sms output node. Inside the sms output node I have my phone number and a simple text message.

Thanks for your help!

Furrukh

Brandon Bayer
    Blocked

Furrukh,

This sounds like a bug fix we did that’ll be in the next firmware version. The bug didn’t allow sending an sms with a zero in it. Likely your inject node is sending a timestamp through the sms node (which overrides the sms node payload setting).

Try changing the inject node to use a string without zero’s.

-Brandon

Furrukh Khan
    Participant

Hi Brandon. I am actually sending a string sms message from the inject node and not a time stamp. In any case something strange happened and the problem has fixed itself. I was exploring the /var/config/sms/outbox directory and saw that there was a directory named sending. Inside that directory were all the unsent messages from Node-RED. I just looked at some of the un-sent messages in vi and then went out of the directory. Right after that I sent a sms message from Node-RED and it worked! Since then I have sent a number of sms messages and it has worked every time. I know this sounds strange but the problem seems to have fixed by itself.

Can I manually delete all the files inside the “failed “sending” and “sent” directories? Or are they automatically deleted periodically?

Thanks!

Furrukh

Brandon Bayer
    Blocked

Furrukh,

Ok, cool! Yes, you can manually delete those files if you wish.

-Brandon

Furrukh Khan
    Participant

Thanks Brandon!

Furrukh

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.