Extend web interface from custom app

Home Forums Conduit: AEP Model Extend web interface from custom app

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Marco Meier
    Participant

We have a custom Python app on the MultiTech Conduit AEP Version. The app has some setting which would need to be changeable. The question now would be, if there is an option for a custom app to extend the existing web interface with app specific settings?

Jeff Hatch
    Keymaster

Hello Marco,

At this time there is nothing that I can think of available to do something like that through the Web UI. That could be a feature enhancement. Would something like being able to specify a Python function and it’s arguments in the UI be useful? Possibly a python function along with a dictionary that would contain the argument data for the function?

Of course this would have security ramifications.

Perhaps something that can be run on the device for Device HQ similar to a LAMBDA function in AWS Greengrass, for example?

At this point it is brainstorming.

Jeff

Marco Meier
    Participant

Hi Jeff

Thanks for the answer.
    I now installed Flask on the Conduit and basically run a second separate web server for my settings. This even allows me to create complete custom settings pages 😀

If we brainstorm, I would suggest following:
    On the app page in the web interface is a configure button. If this button is pressed, inside the existing web interface the custom settings of the app are opened. In the background the web server is calling the Python application over WSGI or FastCGI. This would allow the app developer to create complete custom app pages in the existing web interface.

Regarding Security, in my opinion as long as the app settings are only accessible after login it should be fine.

A solution with Device HQ is for my application not possible, because we have the requirement for the solution to work without an Internet connection.

Marco

Jeff Hatch
    Keymaster

Hello Marco,

The key is the requirement to have no Internet connectivity. That definitely changes how the feature could/would work. An enhancement request for this idea has been submitted. There is no guarantee on when it could get done, but both something like we discussed from Device HQ and in the Web UI on the device are good ideas.

Jeff

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.