Device ID reset to 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

Home Forums mDot/xDot Device ID reset to 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Lindsay
    Participant

I have an xDot that today has somehow reset its device ID to 0’s as shown from the debug output below:

mbed-os: 5.4.2, DevEUI: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    libxDot version: 2.0.17-1-mbed139

This was until a few hours working today. The xDot now no longer joins the network due to the invalid ID.

How do I fix this as there are no function calls to set the deviceId?

Thanks

Andrew

Peter Ferland
    Blocked

Hi Andrew,
    The DevEUI is supposed to be permanent and read only. This could indicate a failure of the onboard flash memory. Support can help diagnose or exchange the xDot if there is indeed a hardware failure. https://support.multitech.com

Peter

Andrew Lindsay
    Participant

Hi Peter,

Multitech provided a utility for the mDot that allowed the device ID to be reset after flash corruption. I wasn’t aware the xDots suffer from the same problem.

I’ve raised a support ticket.

thanks

Andrew

Peter Ferland
    Blocked

XDots do not have the exact same problem as they do not have an off processor flash. Does your application use the EEPROM in any way?

Andrew Lindsay
    Participant

Hi Peter,

EEPROM is used, I use the functions within the library to read and write to it. Only around 365 bytes are used to hold device configuration parameters that a used can set via a bluetooth app. These start from address 0 and have been this way for some time before the device decided to erase its device id.

Are there specific locations that hold the device configuration? I’m sure the library would block access to these locations.

Andrew

Peter Ferland
    Blocked

The library does indeed block access to the configuration address range.

Andrew Lindsay
    Participant

Do you have a utility that allows me to fix this issue that you can share with me?

Thanks

Andrew

Peter Ferland
    Blocked

Yes, tech support can provide a way to fix the DevEUI if you get them the serial number of the XDot in the support portal.

Andrew Lindsay
    Participant

Got a binary image from support but it doesnt give any output so back to where I was – A failed xDot that is now unusable on a custom board that is now scrap.

Andrew

Darrik Spaude
    Keymaster

I’m assuming the resolution in the support case worked as you stated it had and the device is no longer scrap, correct?

Andrew Lindsay
    Participant

Hi Darrik,

the device is operational again thanks.

Andrew

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.