Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    mike janopol
    Participant

Hello, were looking at the MultiModem iSMS devices for one of our projects, and would want to find out how the device handles incomming SMS messages when communications to the API server is down. Does it buffer the messages in itself (the device being a integrated server, database and modem)? Could it forward the messages to a database server too?

The setup were planning is, that the Multimodem sits in a remote office in a remote location, and forwards the sms to a server that is situated elsewhere. Comms go offline from the location where the Multimodem is located, SMS messages keeps coming in, does it buffer it while waiting for the comms to come back on line or do we lose the messages.

how is this funtionality enabled? any documentation available detailing this functionality/feature?

Thanks

Steve Tuckner
    Participant

The 1.3.x versions of code receive the SMS and post it to a web server. The upcoming 1.4.x versions can do that or can buffer SMS’s to be received by polling the box. This polling option would probably suit you fine.

The 1.4.x version should be available within the next two weeks.

Steve Tuckner

Multi-Tech Systems

Brian EARTH
    Participant

Hi Steve !

We have the trouble but in the other way : for outgoing messages.

With the 1.4 version we had the SF100 hanging to sens sms several times … without reasons … (well may be SFR sometimes have troubles I don’t know .. so we put the option of rerecording to the provider every 24H, but we have done that only today ..).

So this morning, we sent different SMS, but suddently one sms stayed blocked in status 2 (status with querymsg api)

Then after the following msgs were in status 3 …

Nothing was sent and nothing received on the phones….

So we soft rebooted the SF100 and then the sending was again possible… (with a reset of the counter (Should be a good option not to reset the counter every reboot because in my case I use the ID in my Database for control …) ).

BUT the 2 messages with the bad status were not resended automatically …

Nothing was in the log (when i check via the admin console) in the error section ….

So it’s a little bit annoying because here we had 2 ‘test’ messages in error but if we send a mailing with 5000 sms and suddently the process stop … it will be very hard to resend correctly …

So how the SF100 could handle that pb ?

Thanks,

Brian

Steve Tuckner
    Participant

Brian,

We have a portal case with you on the stuck outgoing SMS issue. I think we should pursue that issue there.

Steve Tuckner

Brian EARTH
    Participant

Okay Steve 🙂

Next hung I will give you the requiered informations.

For the moment we implemented a treatment : when we have a state 02 (other than 00) we send a mail (after few minutes for checking)to tell the admin that the sf is out .. Then with the time we go to our sms database to see the first id of the ‘bad’ sms … we reboot the SF send a test sms and then resend the sms from the id to the last test !!

Not really top but for the moment it should work !!

Again an other challenge for the A team 🙂

Also a good thing to avoid the reset of the internal counter … (option)

Steve Tuckner
    Participant

When you talk about the internal counter, are you talking about the job # returned when you submit an SMS?

Brian EARTH
    Participant

Yeah, each restart it comes back to 0.

For ex you query the status of SMS id 3500 you reboot and then 3500 no longuer exists ! so in my Database I have several ID 10 for ex !! I think that could be nice to have a unique ID.

Brian EARTH
    Participant

Hi Steve,

new hang !

Here are the info :

pwr : green fixed

link / lan : green fix ok

tr : fixed green

ls : sometimes short blink green

signal : 2 leds

Free Mem : 40012 on 63136 V1.42

Logs are in the portal case (confidentials informations …)

So you can check 🙂

Thanks

Brian

Brian EARTH
    Participant

Hi Steve !

I sent you 2 logs on the portal case …

Have you had any idea ?!!

Thanks

Brian

Steve Tuckner
    Participant

We’ll be taking a good look at them today.

Brian EARTH
    Participant

Hi Steve !

Thanks for your investigations with Jeff.

This afternoon the sf just hangeg and I’ll give you the logs in the portal opened case tomorrow morning !!

I’ve checked for the length and i’ve seen that sometimes the messages are cut (wherease in the log with the AT commands i can read the whole message)… may be that could be a search track !

I’ll make the logs tomorrow (in a file : better for read) and make the test required by Jeff !

Sorry the Sf hanged only a few hours ago !!! (good for me !! lol)

Thanks

Brian

Brian EARTH
    Participant

Hey, in fact it seems that only one message was blocked (that’s why i received an alert !!).

I sent you several tests in the portal case with the copy of my sms database so you’ll be able to check everything we have sent !

Thanks.

Brian

Brian EARTH
    Participant

Hi !

Ok this time I have a good crash ;o)

I sent you the tests / log in the case !

Hope that will be helpfull and that we’ll find the solution !

Brian

Brian EARTH
    Participant

Hi Steve,

did you get the time to make some tests please ?

I’ve got an other hang (i only saw that at the moment 🙁 )

thanks for your helps

Brian

Steve Tuckner
    Participant

Engineering has duplicated this issue and are working on a fix.

Brian EARTH
    Participant

Great :o)

I’ll wait for that fix !!

And test for you.

Thx

Brian

Brian EARTH
    Participant

Hi Steve,

I’ve just upgraded to 1.44

Does this version include the fix ?

Anyway I’ll keep on using the sf as usual, so I’ll tell you if it’s ok.

I’ve noticed that SFR is actually having random ‘lost’ of power in the building (same with my nokia or iphone I’ve still full signal (or 2 levels on 3 on the SF100) and randomly I can’t get the network) and I sometimes loose vocal communications.

So I put the option reregister every hour now, but that can also be an other reason … (can, be because with the periodic registration it should reset).

Anyway the hangs started before the loose of power … SFR said they changed an antenna in the city but I guess I’ll buy soon a repeater to improve the signal …

I’ll tell you if it no longer hangs.

Thanks.

Brian

Steve Tuckner
    Participant

Version 1.44 does not include the fix. We are still working on it.

Brian EARTH
    Participant

Hi Steve !

Any news or tests to do for you about that fix ?

With thanks,

Brian

Brian EARTH
    Participant

Hmmm by the way today I get an alert (we made a little prog that check the result codes) and i get several sms in status : 2 wherease we received them on the phones … May be that could help you 🙂

Brian EARTH
    Participant

Hi Steve ! Any news about the fix ?? I reopened a case with lot of logs to help you.

It’s really annoying now (+1 month) !! and I still have troubles 🙁

Thanks

Brian

Steve Tuckner
    Participant

Jeff just posted a pre-release (1.46) for you to try. Please do and let us know how it goes.

Brian EARTH
    Participant

Hi Steve. I’m just upgrading with Jeff’s upgrade. I keep you informed :o)

Thanks

Brian

Christophe NGUYEN
    Participant

Is this problem fixed ?

Bryon Davis

HI Christophe,

Which problem are you referring to? There were are few mentioned in this topic.

If you’re are referring to the original issue of buffering incoming non-polling messages when the API server is down, this is fixed in the v1.49i. You can find this at the links below. Changes and upgrade instructions are in the readme file.

SF100:

https://webfiles.multitech.com/../../engineering/unofficial-releases/iSMS%20(Formerly%20SMSFinder)/Firmware/SF100/1.49i/SF100-u-v1.49i-13Oct2011.zip

SF400 and SF800:

https://webfiles.multitech.com/../../engineering/unofficial-releases/iSMS%20(Formerly%20SMSFinder)/Firmware/SF400_SF800/1.49i/SF400-800-u-v1.49i-13Oct2011.zip

Regards,

Bryon

Randy Paries
    Participant

So how safe are these firmware upgrade to install on production servers?

Should i wait for official releases and do you happen to know how soon that will be.

thanks

Bryon Davis

We’ve done a variety of testing before making it available, but a full release test hasn’t been done on this firmware. I don’t believe there will be any new major bugs, but if a bug is found you can always go back to your previous firmware. We plan to officially release firmware in a month or so.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.