BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) Support on MDot.

Home Forums mDot/xDot BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) Support on MDot.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ajay K
    Participant

I was looking to find out what if there would be any BLE support on future versions of MDot? I was looking at some of the platforms on the MBED site and some of them seem to have it built in and there seems to be API support within MBED as well. If there is no such plan on having BLE support in the near future, what would be best way to integrate BLE module to the mDot? Any recommendations?

Thanks,
    Ajay.

Mike Fiore
    Blocked

Ajay,

The UDK2.0 is compatible with Arduino Shields. There are a number of bluetooth shields available:

https://developer.mbed.org/components/cat/bluetooth/

I took a quick peek at the Seeed Bluetooth Shield and it has a couple of example applications right on the page.

https://developer.mbed.org/components/Seeed-Bluetooth-Shield/

Should at least help you get started.

Cheers,

Mike

Andrew Lindsay
    Participant

What news on the wDot?

Andrew Lindsay
    Participant

I have used the mDot with a Microchip RN4020 BLE module and have been able to use this to create a LoRa with BLE temperature sensor using one of the built in profiles. For a laugh, the probe was advertising itself as Rectal Health Thermometer!

I was intending to use a bluetooth module as a way of configuring and managing the sensor but the BLE profiles don’t directly support a UART mode. The RN4020 does support a Microchip version of the UART and requires code on the mDot to actually make it work properly.

Andrew

Tom Hill
    Participant

Hi Andrew,

How much Additional work did you need to do on the mDot side to get it to work with this BLE module? Also does it not have an SPI/I2C interface to communicate with?

Thanks,
    Yogesh

Andrew Lindsay
    Participant

The BLE module I have, the Microchip RN4020, is UART so not SPI/I2C. However I’m not sure its actually the best one for what I was trying to achieve and may change it for another more suitable device.

Andrew

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.