Conduit AEP vs mLinux version

Home Forums Conduit: AEP Model Conduit AEP vs mLinux version

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Alvin
    Participant

Hello,
    From my understanding Multitech offers 2 Conduit versions AEP and mLinux. Both versions are based on mLinux. AEP version has NodeRED installed, connectivity features and is closed source.
    mLinux version is open source and has BSP but that’s pretty much it. Users need to build their own application but it offers maximum flexibility.
    Are the above observations correct ? Further questions would be, what sort of customizations are possible with AEP (C, C++, Python, bash, Nodejs…?
    If I get the mLinux version, is it possible to “install” AEP features to it or even convert to ?

Jeff Hatch
    Keymaster

Alvin,

>> Are the above observations correct?
    What you have said is correct. It must be noted that Node-RED is not the only supported application platform. It is also possible to create custom applications following the instructions at http://www.multitech.net/developer/software/aep/creating-a-custom-application/. Custom applications can be installed through Device HQ or locally.

>> Further questions would be, what sort of customizations are possible with AEP (C, C++, Python, bash, Nodejs…?
    Support on AEP for C/C++, Python, bash, node-js is correct. C/C++ applications have to be cross-compiled for the Conduit architecture. There is also the option to install Java or Mono on the device.

>> If I get the mLinux version, is it possible to “install” AEP features to it or even convert to?
    If you buy the mLinux version, you can install the AEP firmware. Currently a full firmware install is necessary to “convert”.

Jeff

Herb Garcia
    Participant

I have an AEP version but had some upgrade difficulties and now the AEP doesn’t start. What is the procedure for either starting the existing AEP or adding AEP firmware to mlinux version?

Jeff Hatch
    Keymaster

Herb,

To get help with this file a support portal case at https://support.multitech.com.

Jeff

Mark Linneman
    Participant

Jeff,

I’m very interested in what you said about the capability of generating C/C++ applications that can be run on the AEP version of the Conduit. You said “Support on AEP for C/C++, Python, bash, node-js is correct. C/C++ applications have to be cross-compiled for the Conduit architecture.”

I am using Node-Red on our Conduit gateway, and I need to execute custom applications through the “EXEC” node. And I would like to write these applications in C/C++. These applications would have to, at the very least, have access to the CTMDT Linux file system for its input and output. (That will probably be quite sufficient. Normally I’d want to write sockets client/server TCP/IP or UDP/IP communications, but I’ll probably settle for letting Node-Red handle that.) I have MultiConnect Conduit firmware version 1.4.16 for my AEP unit, so the version 1.3 and above requirement is met.

So my question is what exactly do you mean when you say cross-compiled “for the Conduit architecture”? I assume I can use a GCC or G++ compiler. But don’t I need a “Conduit-specific” run-time library to link my code with? You’ll have to pardon me – I’ve been writing C/C++ code for decades, but not in the Linux environment. I suppose if all I really need for my I/O is access to the file system, this may be very simple. But at this point I need some things spelled out for me which ought to seem pretty rudimentary, do to my inexperience with Linux and the Multitech product. Thanks very much for your help.

– Mark

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.