What version of libmdot, mbed rtos, mbed should be used.

Home Forums mDot/xDot What version of libmdot, mbed rtos, mbed should be used.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Tom Hill
    Participant

I am planning on upgrading my current application which is on a older version of libmdot, mbed rtos and mbed.

What should be the ideal version to upgrade to, which won’t break my existing application as I see a couple of issues already called out in the forum with mbed os5.

Thanks,
    Yogesh

Hi Yogesh,

What versions of libmdot, mbed rtos and mbed are you using now? If you want to move forward but don’t want to move to mbed-os 5, what are you hoping to achieve by moving forward? Is there a feature, function or bug fix you are looking for?

Ideally, I’d recommend that you move to mbed-os 5. What problems are you concerned about with mbed-os 5? If you use the correct versions, it should be fine. If you move to mbed-os 5 and use our libmDot-dev-mbed5 there are some enhancements that may be worth while.

Here’s the libmDot-dev-mbed5 change log:
    https://developer.mbed.org/teams/MultiTech/wiki/Dot-library-change-log

Here’s the list of libmDot-dev-mbed5 versions. If you read the comments column you’ll see what versions of mbed-os to use with each libmDot-dev-mbed5 version. Avoid mbed-os 5.1.5 if you are using the I2C interface in your application.
    https://developer.mbed.org/teams/MultiTech/code/libmDot-dev-mbed5/shortlog

Have you used mbed-cli yet?
    https://docs.mbed.com/docs/mbed-os-handbook/en/5.1/dev_tools/cli/
    Once you get to using it, you may find it easier to work with.

Kind regards,
    Leon

Tom Hill
    Participant

I am currently on mbed library 117, RTOS 111 and the last libmdot is from 4th April 2016, I think revision 14. I would like to mbed os 5 and I had not upgraded as we were in testing mode with the earlier mbed os. we are ready to try the application on mbed os5. I build the applications via the online compiler, do you see any downside to that. I have not setup an offline compiler for the mdot, however i have setup the mbed-cli for one of the other platforms for mbed-os5. I will be using SPI, should I not be using mbed os 5.015? I see in the changelog regarding the issue with the data rate being set to DR0, however is this an issue with ADR as well, since we are going to begin testing the ADR functionality soon.

Should I be using the libmdot-dev-mbed5 or is there a production version that I can use, for the mbed-os5?

Thanks,
    Yogesh

Hi Yogesh,

Building on line works. I think working off line is more of a work flow issue and allows you to use your preferred IDE for editing code. Of course you could edit off line and move your source code into the on line compiler for compilation.

Your SPI interface will work in mbed-os 5.1.5. It is only the I2C interface that is broken in that revision of mbed-os.

DR0 is not an issue with ADR.

You can use the latest stable build if you like…
    https://developer.mbed.org/teams/MultiTech/code/libmDot-mbed5/
    This should be build against mbed-os version 5.1.5. As long as you are not using I2C, this will work. Moving to the latest libmDot-dev-mbed5 version with the newer mbed-os, you get the PVD enhancement. If you are running off batteries, I’d recommend this. If your power source is stable at 3.3-5v, then this is of no value for you.

Kind regards,
    Leon

Tom Hill
    Participant

Thanks Leon.

I just needed to clarify one of your comments on the PVD enhancement. Can you elaborate on that? We are going to be eventually going to be running on a battery in the field. Also is this enhancement only currently available on the dev build or in the current production version of the build as well?

Also is this enhancement more MBED OS related, i.e. it is available on MBED OS5 and above?

Thanks,
    Yogesh

Hi Yogesh,

The STM32F411RE processor we use on the MDOT has a programmable voltage detector(PVD) built into it. Any time a file system transaction is requested, the PVD output is read to see if the voltage is above or below the programmed voltage. If it is below, the file system access is blocked. You can go to the ST Micro web site to download the STM32F411RE data sheet and reference guide for additional details.

This feature is currently supported in the libmDot-dev-mbed5 version not the libmDot-mbed5 version.

The PVD code is implemented in the mDot library. It does not rely on anything in mbed-os5.

Kind regards,
    Leon

Tom Hill
    Participant

Hi Leon,

Thanks for taking the time to clarify regarding PVD functionality in the mdot. Is there any estimate as to when this will be rolled into the production version of the libmdot?

Thanks,
    Yogesh

Hi Yogesh,

Do you need a production release of the mDot library with PVD support by a particular date? We have not set a timeline yet but I expect we’ll have a release in Q1 of 2017.

Kind regards,
    Leon

Tom Hill
    Participant

Thanks Leon, I was hoping that we could test with the PVD support at the earliest with the production build of mdot as the production build would be a more stable build. I will see if we can work with the dev build for now, but we are planning to lock our firmware release as well early Q1 of 2017.

Thanks,
    Yogesh

Hi Yogesh,

There’s not much that has changed between the dev library and stable release.
    https://developer.mbed.org/teams/MultiTech/wiki/Dot-library-change-log

If you use version 70:c45c5f1e348d, you get the PVD change on top of the stable release.
    https://developer.mbed.org/teams/MultiTech/code/libmDot-dev-mbed5/shortlog
    Make sure you use the proper mbed-os version as indicated in the commit message.

Given your timeline and assuming you need the PVD protection, I wouldn’t suggest you wait for a new stable release. I’d use version 70:c45c5f1e348d libmDot-dev-mbed5 and stick with it during your testing. If you see no problems, got with it for production. If we produce a new stable release, while you still have test time available, you could switch to it.

Kind regards,
    Leon

Tom Hill
    Participant

Thanks Leon, we will be testing with the dev build going forward, and hopefully the production version would be out eventually by the time we decide to lock the firmware. Thanks for calling out the version of libmdot to use and Yes we would like to use the PVD feature.

Thanks,
    Yogesh

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.