Updating node-red

Home Forums Conduit: AEP Model Updating node-red

Tagged: 

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    mdot_dev aa
    Participant

I am trying to update node-red app in my conduit AEP but I haven’t found anything on manuals to do it. My node-red version is 0.11.1 and I have seen some code in documentation I can’t test because my version is too old.

How can I update it?

Andrew Lindsay
    Participant

How are you trying to update Node RED? Did you flash the latest AEP firmware?

Andrew

mdot_dev aa
    Participant

I think I already have the latest version of AEP (1.1.2) so I don’t know if I have to re-update it again. Also, the latest version of node-red included in the latest version of AEP is 0.11.1 which is the one I already have installed: http://www.multitech.net/developer/software/aep/aep-firmware-changelog/

However, the latest version of node-red is 0.13.4 (http://nodered.org/) and I wonder if I can install that version without modifying firmware of AEP.

Vij Ray
    Participant

On the same theme, how do I update node.js version? I have AEP conduit firmware version 1.2.2, the node version is 0.10.4. I need to move to newer 4.4x or more.

mdot_dev aa
    Participant

I could’t. I haven’t had too many time to check this. I have been busy with other parts of the network. But when I tried, I didn’t found the updated version of nodejs for conduit and I was afraid of using a version destinated to other board sinde the conduit aep is not mine but the compnay I work for.

Jeff Hatch
    Keymaster

Vij,

The reason that the AEP Conduit cannot be upgraded to any more recent version of node.js is that the CPU architecture does not support some of the newer instructions in the newer ARM chips that are required for the any version newer than 0.10.x. If you can find evidence that they have change that and can support ARM 5 architecture let me know.

Thank You,

Jeff

Vij Ray
    Participant

Jeff
    Thanks for your response. It does look from documentation the support for ARM 6 and above at least officially. I am willing to try a new version of installing node 4.x. Can you please help me with recipe for upgrading to node 4x on a conduit AEP box.

Thanks
    Vij

Tom Hill
    Participant

Any ideas if there are any plans to upgrade the node to 4x and the node red versions?

Jeff Hatch
    Keymaster

We will not be upgrading the node version beyond 0.10.x until it has been confirmed that the newer version (4.x) can compile and run on ARM5 architecture or when the Conduit hardware has been upgraded to use a CPU that supports the newer instruction set.

Jeff

Tom Hill
    Participant

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your response. So is this being looked into actively by the multitech team if new version of nodejs works with ARM5 architecture and is there any timeline for such an upgrade in place, as I am trying to set some expectations for my client, if this is not even in the radar of happening in the near future. As the newer versions of both NodeJS and node-red seems to have improvements in overall performance of the node-red application.

Thanks,
    Yogesh

Heath Raftery
    Participant

Any further plans on this? The Conduit is still on Node-RED 0.11.1 which is getting pretty long in the tooth. Makes it hard to search for support when most of the stuff out there is incompatible.

We will not be upgrading the node version beyond 0.10.x until it has been confirmed that the newer version (4.x) can compile and run on ARM5 architecture or when the Conduit hardware has been upgraded to use a CPU that supports the newer instruction set.

It looks like the former is very unlikely:
    https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/v8-users/aSOFbaAQvMk
    https://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=8468

So is the latter coming any time soon?

Jeffrey Osborne
    Participant

Hi all, was hoping to revive this topic. I am also trying to update node-red, but my version says 0.0.0, I’m not sure how to update even to 0.11.1. How would I go about this?

Heath Raftery
    Participant

Despite what the web interface says, you don’t have 0.0.0. Try head /var/log/app/node-red.log. Chances are you already have 0.11.1.

Jeffrey Osborne
    Participant

V0.11.1 yep, my bad.

That’s a bummer that there are no updates past this. Specifically, in 0.11.1 I don’t see the functionality for flow.x or global.x variables. Am I missing something obvious or is this in fact not in 0.11.1?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.