SMS-Utils Error

Home Forums MultiConnect OCG SMS-Utils Error

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Noah Hinrichs
    Participant

I just received the hardware and I was able to get connected and poke around but when trying to do any of the “sms” commands I get the message:

[NOTICE] atcmd.c:atcmd_read:284: read timeout

Am I missing something here?

Bryan Tran

Hi Noah,

Would you pls give the model number and SN number of the product that you are currently having a problem with….

Regards,

BT

Noah Hinrichs
    Participant

MTCDP-H4-GP

Serial 15494691

I suspect it’s an issue with the .smsconfig file and the chosen device. Not sure I quite understand what ‘device’ it’s looking for.

Bryan Tran

Hi Noah,

1. You can try to issue the command: microcom /dev/ttyUSB3 and then type:

AT[enter] and see if you are getting an OK back.

ATE1[enter] <–To turn echo on.

AT+CSQ[enter] <–Check signal.

AT+CREG?[enter] <–Check to see if register home or roam.

Ctrl + x [enter] <–Exit out the microcom.

2. Once you get the above commands to work, then you know that which /dev/ttyUSBx is talking to the wireless modem. You can then modify the .smsconfig and try it again.

3. If it is still not working for you, you can try:

sms –device /dev/ttyUSB3 send your_phone_number_here

or sms[enter] to list out a usage.

Regards,

BT

Jesse Gilles
    Blocked

Noah,

The sms utility needs to know which device port to talk to since the various CDP models have different cellular radios in them and therefore can have different device ports.

Just for future reference, an overview of the ports per model is here:

http://www.multitech.net/developer/products/cellular-development-platform/hardware/accessing-hardware-interfaces/

As Bryan mentioned, the H4 model has /dev/ttyUSB3 that you can send AT commands to, it also has /dev/ttyUSB4 as well. This allows you to have a ppp link up on /dev/ttyUSB4 and still issues AT commands (sms, etc) on /dev/ttyUSB3.

Thanks,

Jesse

Noah Hinrichs
    Participant

Thanks a ton for the help. I was able to get this to run both with AT commands and the sms send command. The only issue now is that I get a CMS Error 500 when I try to send.

The +CMS Error 500 happens both with plain AT commands and using sms send

Bryan Tran

Hi Noah,

Can you type: microcom /dev/ttyUSB3 to get into the microcom console. Type the following commands:

AT+CPIN? <–You should get response back with +CPIN: READY. Otherwise, check to see if SIM insert or not.

AT+CSQ[enter] <–Check signal.

AT+CREG?[enter] <–Check to see if register home or roam.

AT+CMGF=1[enter] <–Set to text mode.

AT+CMGS=”Your_SIM_number_here”[enter]

*After you hit Enter key, you will get a greater than sign, just type in your sms message and then hit ctr+z to send the sms message to your SIM. For example:

>This is your sms message [ctr+z]

Do: AT+CMGL=”ALL”[enter] <–List all of the messages received.

Regards,

BT

Noah Hinrichs
    Participant

Doing those commands everything looks to be giving me the expected replies. I even sent a message to the number provided and can see it on the device using the AT+CMGL=”ALL” command.

I still get +CMS Error: 500 when doing a send using AT+CMGS

Also for some reason when i’m inside the microcom I can’t see what I’m typing anymore. I was able to earlier but now nothing shows up. I only know if i typed something correctly by the response I get when hitting enter. Is that a setting somewhere or a bug?

Noah Hinrichs
    Participant

Power cycling the device made it so i can see what i type inside of microcom now.

Noah Hinrichs
    Participant

I’m still getting the +CMS Error:500. Does anyone have any idea what that may mean or how i can fix it?

Bryan Tran

Hi Noah,

Would you pls post the entire AT commands that you have sent to the modem that gives you the +CMS error: 500 ?

Regards,

BT

Noah Hinrichs
    Participant

I’m following the directions earlier in this thread exactly. I get the 500 error after I do the

AT+CMGS=”Your_SIM_number_here”[enter]

Command.

Every step before that responds with OK or the value that it should it’s just the actual AT+CMGS command that causes the error.

Bryan Tran

Hi Noah,

Can you take out the SIM and put it into your cell phone and see if you are able to send the sms message or not ?

Regards,

BT

Noah Hinrichs
    Participant

I’m looking for a phone that it will work in. I can say this, it does receive messages fine so that suggests that it’s active.

Noah Hinrichs
    Participant

Sending from a phone does FAIL. It just says “unable to send”

Bryan Tran

Noah,

I am currently working on your problem. I will let you know a solution as soon as I have found one.

Thanks,

BT

Bryan Tran

Hi Noah,

Would you pls post your Email address here so that I can send you some of the documentations that regarding more additional steps that required to perform prior to use your SIM.

Regards,

BT

Darrik Spaude
    Keymaster

Noah,

I’ll send your e-mail address to Bryan.

Noah Hinrichs
    Participant

Thanks for the updates. I’ll keep an eye out for the email from Bryan.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.