SMS to Command Line?

Home Forums iSMS SMS to Command Line?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ed Willson
    Participant

Can someone post an example that would let me text to the SMS device, and have it execute a command, and return the result?

I’ll be working on this – and will post my result if I can make it happen. I’m just a little lost.

Thanks,

Ed

Bryon Davis

I’m not exactly sure what you’re trying to do, but besides doing some trigger features, to run a command after a SMS you would need a program running on a PC or webserver that would use the iSMS API to receive incoming SMS, interpret the SMS and execute your command on that PC/webserver, and then send a SMS with the results using the API.

For more detailed information we would need to know more about the programming language being used and the setup.

There are some iSMS API programming examples that may be helpful on our FTP site at https://webfiles.multitech.com/engineering/sample-code/sms-finder/

Ed Willson
    Participant

Byron,

I think I need to do a bit of reading then.

What I would like to do is text ‘Ping Hostname’ and receive a text back with the ping result. It would be a pretty helpful tool for remote troubleshooting, also would open up the door to much remote management.

Thanks,

Ed

Ed Willson
    Participant

So this was easier than I thought. I didn’t know that when the receive API was enabled it just forwards all messages to the server listed. I was searching for the mechanism that would make the message be sent to the application. I’ll post up a sample in a couple days… It’s going well though.

Thanks,

Ed

Ed Silent
    Participant

Hello Ed, Bryon; your post is very useful but what I need to do is reading the messages in my Inbox. Is this possible?

The programming language I’m using is C#, I’ve changed a little the code in the ismsSend.aspx.cs of the ftp you posted Bryon, so that it uses the recvmsg command. But it returns HTTP 404.

Do you guys know if reading the Inbox is possible?

Thank you very much.

PS I’ve got the MultiModem iSMS SF100-G

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.