Set "Auto" mode for LAN ETH0 via Admin Console

Home Forums Conduit: AEP Model Set "Auto" mode for LAN ETH0 via Admin Console

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Chris Friedel
    Participant

Hello All,

Noticed that (at least with our newest batch of 1.2.2 AEPs) that before the “first time setup”, the debug port lists ETH0 in some sort of “Auto” mode during first boot. It seems that in this mode, if ETH0 is attached to a network with a DHCP client, then the conduit will assign an IP from the remote DHCP server.

If however, you direct connect a PC to ETH0, then the conduit will use its DHCP server to provide a valid IP to that PC.

It seems that the admin console does not support this “Automatic” state. This state is ideal for our pre-shipping process, where our configuration team configures and tests the conduits (while they are attached to a corporate network), but require direct connection once out in the field.

Our work instructions currently have the configuration team manually changing the mode for ETH0 before repackaging, but if there is any way to keep the Conduit in this automatic mode, that would be very beneficial.

Does anyone have any insight into this?

Thank you very much!

Chris

Jeff Hatch
    Keymaster

Chris,

A question or two:

When your configuration team manually changes the mode for ETH0 are they using the Initial Setup Wizard or are they using another means to configure the interface?

I may not have the complete picture of what is going on, but have you tried configuring the Eth0 interface to DHCP Client instead of static? This is how it is working “out of the box”. If the DHCP server is disabled on the Conduit, and the interface is configured to use the DHCP Client, it will attempt to get an address, but not give out any addresses as a DHCP server.

I guess I am still trying to get an accurate picture of what you want to accomplish. Do you want the Conduit to just be a DHCP client and get an address, or do you want it to do something else?

Jeff

Chris Friedel
    Participant

Hey Jeff,

Thanks for the reply. I think I actually was mistaken when I made this post. It appeared that on first boot up, the Conduit was dynamically changing its behavior between having a static IP while providing DHCP services, and obtaining a DHCP lease as a client (depending on if it was connected to a network that already had a DHCP server or not).

After a bit more testing, we’ve confirmed that this actually was not the case.

My apologies for the mistake – sorry about that.

Chris

Jeff Hatch
    Keymaster

No problem. We have limited documentation on that feature,and the interactions between the different parts (Call Home and interface configuration) is complicated.

Jeff

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.