Raspberry Pi not recognising MTSMC-H5

Home Forums General Raspberry Pi not recognising MTSMC-H5

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Chris Kelly
    Participant

Hi Multitech Forum,

My linux knowledge if very limited so my apologies! I can’t seem to get my raspberry pi to recognise our QuickCarrier-USBE module. I have connected the module to one of the raspberry pi’s 4 USB ports via a 4-pin to male USB cable. NOTE: I have not inserted a SIM card as yet….i really hope that doesn’t contribute to the issue, i’ll kick myself 🙂

No USB devices show up, nor does it seem to create the 7 devices, ttyACM0 to ttyACM6, when checking lsusb or searching /dev/tty*.

cdc_acm does not load automatically when plugging the device in. However when modprobing (modprobe cdc_acm) and then listing via lsmod, cdc_acm shows up. cdc_acm.ko file exists in the USB drivers class folder.

Other notable changes to the raspberry pi that may contribute are 1) i have added a line to /boot/config.txt to set the uart clock rate to 6000000 (init_uart_clock=6000000) 2) changed the /etc/inittab to comment our the line referring to ttyAMA0 3) removed the reference to ttyAMA0 from the /boot/cmdline.txt line. These changes are a requirement for a separate GPS device that uses ttyAMA0 on the same board. This device is not plugged in yet, but could these changes cause any conflict?

I have stopped short of undertaking the module build as suggested in the documentation, as i am hoping that is not required…it would be out of my depth for sure!

Any help is greatly appreciated as always. Thanks guys,

Chris

Chris Kelly
    Participant

….I should add the raspberry pi uses Raspbian, which is an optimised version of Debian for the raspberry pi. The version is 3.18, which is the latest distribution to date.

Also, other USB 3G dongles are recognised. For example, ZTE and Huawei dongles have been tested successfully and show up as USB devices.

Thanks guys,

Chris

Chris Kelly
    Participant

UPDATE: …..it seems it has all come down to USB power!!!!! Unbelievable!

The USB ports on the Raspberry Pi do not output enough power to support the module. Upon adding a powered USB hub, and plugging in the device through the hub, the 6 ttyACM0 -ttyACM6 devices are generated.

The device is also now listed when running “lsusb”.

Hope this post becomes useful for others.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.