questions on using app-manager

Home Forums Conduit: AEP Model questions on using app-manager

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    wkhatch@unimar.com
    Participant

Following along with the example application, the first issue I hit was when using the included install-to-conduit.sh script, I’m getting an error:

Failed to get lock file, errno = 9 , exiting

The package was copied to the mtc at /media/card/….tar.gz

I then tried running app-manager within the conduit, as root, and issuing the command as shown in the install-to… script, like:

app-manager --command local --appfile ./edge-mtc-app.tar.gz --appname edge -apptype CUSTOM

returns some error and usage text:

Invalid option 63 specified.
    19:52:24:453|ERROR|Invalid option 63 specified. Exiting

I then tried using install instead of local, and adding the required –appid argument, which I’m assuming is user defined text, and got same error and result back. I’d like to understand what that flag is for, as it’s also required when installing through the UI.

issuing a status command to app-manager: app-manager -command status --appid edge returned

Command ENDCOMMANDS failed with: 
        appId      edge
        appName    UNKNOWN
        appVersion UNKNOWN
        appType    UNKNOWN
        appStoreIP www.devicehq.com
        configids  {"ids":[]}

In looking at /var/log/messages, I am seeing output indicating the process status, and with one other potentially key indication:

AppCommand::executeStatus: can't read pid as a string, trying as number:#012 in Json::Value::asCString(): requires stringValue

in status.json, the pid value is not a string, but a number.

So, I’d like to understand:
    1) how to debug app-manager; where it logs, etc
    2) what is this appid
    3) any clues as to the failure “Failed to get lock file, errno = 9 , exiting” when using the install script locally.
    4) any additional info regarding the config directory, and the format of files that are put there, and how that’s used in devicehq. Both apps I’m trying to deploy have several parameters they need to start, which I’m currently doing just simple key=value statements, and then referencing that file in a source command, like: . $CONFIG_DIR/edge.conf within the Start script.
    5) Any other missing documentation that would be helpful in getting this to work…

Thanks.

wkhatch@unimar.com
    Participant

anybody using this at all? opinions? anything? lol

Ajay K
    Participant

What version of the conduit firmware are you on? Also the is intention to install the custom app on an SD card or on the local file system?

Currently my custom app is on 5.2.1 conduit firmware version and I am not sure what else the install-to-conduit.sh is doing. In my case I generate the tar.gz file and save it in in /var/tmp folder. Also before I generate the tar.gz file I ensure Install and Start file have the execute permissions provided as well.

I then open up the command terminal and I use the following command below to install my custom app.

sudo app-manager --command local --appfile TestApp.tar.gz --appname "TestApp"

Thanks,
    Ajay

wkhatch@unimar.com
    Participant

Thanks for the reply, Ajay; I just saw this today. So, you’re scp the .tar.gz file to /var/tmp, and not the SD card? I was trying to do it from the sd card, yes. I’m willing to abandon that strategy, as it seems running apps off the card is just too unreliable; they die within a few days, and all sorts of other weirdness that it’s just not sustainable or reliable. Thanks again for the tips.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.