Questions about the Cell 100 GPS model MTC-LAT1-B02

Home Forums General Questions about the Cell 100 GPS model MTC-LAT1-B02

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    brian kusler
    Participant

We’ve got a fleet of vehicles deployed with MTC-H5-B01’s, aka MultiConnect Cell 100’s. These are working well. Some customers have asked for GPS capabilities, so we’re evaluating the MTC-LAT1-B02 product. A couple of questions:

1. The “Prog Signal” LEDs on the front of the modem never illuminate. Is there some way to get them to behave the same as the H5-B01 and show cellular antenna strength? If there’s some other useful data that can be shown on these LEDs, that’d be cool to know too.

2. The fleet management hardware that the modems connect to only supports 3-wire serial (Rx, Tx, ground), so we deploy 3-wire serial cables, and disable all flow control and DTR power management on the modem. If I connect the H5-B01 to my laptop with this 3-wire cable, everything works fine. But with the LAT-B02 and identical modem programming, that cable doesn’t work; any incoming data is held in the buffer of the modem until I connect a more standard serial cable. I tried adding a DTR wire, but it has no effect (other than lighting up the ‘TR’ LED on the modem). What am I missing? Both models of modems are programmed with the following:
    AT&F / AT&P0 / ATE0 / AT+IPR-4800 / AT#ENHRST=2,180 / AT+CMGF=1 / AT#MWI=0 / AT+CNMI=2,2,0,0,0 / AT+IFC=0,0 / AT+CSDH=1. If I read back AT&V on the GPS modem, I see all the things I’d expect to see, and it precisely matches the non-GPS model (except for the 3rd-to-last line, as shown, but the value seems acceptable):

DTE SPEED                      : 4800
    DTE FORMAT                     : 8N1
    GSM DATA MODE                  : Not Transparent
    AUTOBAUD                       : +IPRxxx00=NO
    COMMAND ECHO                   : E0=NO
    RESULT MESSAGES                : Q0=YES
    VERBOSE MESSAGES               : V1=YES
    EXTENDED MESSAGES              : X1=YES
    LINE SPEED                     : F0=autodetect
    CONSTANT DTE SPEED             : YES
    FLOW CONTROL OPTIONS           : &K0=NO
    ERROR CORRECTION MODE          : RLP
    CTS (C106) OPTIONS             : &B2=OFF while disc.
    DSR (C107) OPTIONS             : &S3=PHONE ready->ON
    DTR (C108) OPTIONS             : &D0=ignored
    DCD (C109) OPTIONS             : &C1=follows carrier
    RI (C125) OPTIONS              : \R1=OFF dur. off-hk
    C108/1 OPERATION               : &D4=NO [* H5-B01 shows "&D0=NO" *]
    POWER SAVING ON DTR            : +CFUN:1=NO
    DEFAULT PROFILE                : &P0=user profile 1

any ideas?

Lonny Knudson
    Blocked

Hi Brian,
    Regarding the items in your post:
    1. Initial documentation for the MTC-LAT1 builds incorrectly describes the PROG SIGNAL LED behavior as they were defined for the MTC-H5 models.

The MTC-H5 is preloaded with an application that controlled the LEDs for signal strength.

The MTC-LAT1 does not have the capability to add an application into the MTC-LAT1 cellular modules so it cannot be programmed to match the function that exists in MTC-H5.

These LEDs can only be controlled via AT commands and are left for the customer to control, if desired.

To make use of these LEDs you can control them from the host system using the AT#GPIO command (see AT command manual for details).

The LEDs map to particular GPIO on the radio:

■ GPIO2: Controls the LED with a single bar above it
    ■ GPIO3: Controls the LED with two bars above it
    ■ GPIO4: Controls the LED with three bars above it

AT command examples:
    AT#GPIO=2,0,1 – Turn LED 1 OFF
    AT#GPIO=2,1,1 – Turn LED 1 ON
    AT#GPIO=3,0,1 – Turn LED 2 OFF
    AT#GPIO=3,1,1 – Turn LED 2 ON
    AT#GPIO=4,0,1 – Turn LED 3 OFF
    AT#GPIO=4,1,1 – Turn LED 3 ON

2. You may want to open a support ticket for this issue. If +IFC=0,0 (&K0) the modem should not buffer data. If you open a support ticket please remember to indicate the firmware revision on your modem (AT+CGMR). It is likely that forcing the RTS signal active will resolve the unexpected buffering behavior.

brian kusler
    Participant

Excellent — thanks for your help! As for the serial stuff, I’m taking your advice and opening up a ticket with multitech support.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.