pppd issues

Home Forums MultiConnect OCG pppd issues

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Bryan Banz
    Participant

I’m sure I’m missing something simple here, but I can’t seem to find a way to “hang up” the pppd connection.

For example, once I have issued a “pppd call cdma” and the connection is established, how do I have the modem hang up and dismantle the ppp0 interface?

On a related note, I am connecting to the CDP using SSH via the Ethernet port. When I initiate the ppp connection, my connection via eth0 is lost and the only way for me to connect to the device is through USB/serial. I presume pppd is changing some routes as it creates the ppp0 iface. Is there an easy way to prevent this from happening?

Bryan Banz
    Participant

Update to my previous post:

Issue 2 solved by commenting out the ‘replacedefaultroute’ line in /etc/peers/cdma.

Still haven’t figured out how to shut down the ppp connection. Thought I stumbled on it with ‘poff’, but when I issue that command it complains:

“More than one pppd running. None stopped”

Output from ps shows only one pppd running.

Jesse Gilles
    Blocked

Try “killall pppd”

Bryan Banz
    Participant

Yes, killall and kill -9 both work. I was thinking there was something more graceful. 😉

Jesse Gilles
    Blocked

Yeah, running ‘kill -9’ is certainly not graceful, but that sends SIGKILL which will forcefully terminate the process immediately.

If you run just ‘kill’ or ‘killall’ with no specific signal, then they send SIGTERM by default, and pppd will actually hang up and shut down gracefully. So it only feels not graceful 🙂

Bryan Banz
    Participant

Duly noted. Thanks.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.