PPP management with NS

Home Forums Conduit: AEP Model PPP management with NS

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Faustin Empis
    Participant

Hi,

In the web interface of the conduit, section “Setup – LoRa Network Server”, I can see that there are two modes available : Network Server and Packet Forwarder.

I am in a use case where I send data every 5 minutes with my LoRaWAN device, so the gateway receives data every 5 minutes from 1 device.

The main difference between the Packet Forwarder and the Network Server is that there is no filter with the Packet Forwarder, so every messages are forwarded, whereas in the case of the Network Server only the data of registered devices are forwarded.
    I am using the Network Server solution.

Now I would like the data to not be sent immediately after reception on the gateway, for exemple :

– 1 hour of transmission with no 3G, so packets are received on the Network Server but not sent to the Application Server.
    – After 1 hour, up the PPP connection, and send every frames received in the hour at the same time, then cut the PPP connection.

Is the gateway able to bufferize data like this ? is there any specific configuration to do ?

About the cellular configuration, I can see the “Dial-on-demand” option and the idle timeout, but this is not what I want. But I suppose that a script can do this, should not be complicated, the main concern that I have is about the capability of the gateway to store data frames until they are sent to the Application server via 3G.

Thank you.

Jeff Hatch
    Keymaster

Faustin,

You will have to write an application that reads the data from the mqtt topic ‘lora/+/up’ and buffer the data. You can also control the ppp connection through the ppp init.d script.

You can probably write a simple node app that reads and buffers the data from the localhost mqtt, and sends the data to wherever you want at the designated time. I am not even sure that you will need to control the ppp connection unless you only want it up when you are sending.

Jeff

Faustin Empis
    Participant

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for the answer, I’ll have to dig how to do it.
    I already watched Node-RED a bit to see the possibilities, for now I was able to save the received frames on a file, about MQTT, I do not have a broker for now so I will try it later.

There is something I wonder, when I said :
    “- 1 hour of transmission with no 3G, so packets are received on the Network Server but not sent to the Application Server.
    – After 1 hour, up the PPP connection, and send every frames received in the hour at the same time, then cut the PPP connection.”

I meant send every frames in one block (like a file with the frames recorded on it), and not send frames one by one to unstack the buffer.

The real question here is about 3G data consumption between, for example :
    – 12 frames sent in one hour every 5 minutes
    and
    – a single file containing the 12 frames after 1 hour of transmission

I think the issue is also about how a LoRa server is working :
    – Here the frames are received on the Network Server of the gateway, fine.
    – The Network Server has the information on which Application Server it has to send the frame
    – So if a file with frames is to be sent from a Network Server to an Application Server, this is not the usual LoRa network process, so can it work anyway ? Maybe with a post-treatment of the file on the AS side after reception.

Faustin Empis
    Participant

Any suggestions someone ? 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.