mDot Developer Board Serial port issue

Home Forums mDot/xDot mDot Developer Board Serial port issue

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Adhavan Manickam
    Participant

I am trying to connect an Arduino UNO to the mDot using the serial port. The uno collects sensor data through a soft serial port and transmits the data through a RS232 shield to the mDot developer board. I verified that data is indeed being sent by monitoring the serial output on a terminal.

I set the mDot to serial mode (AT+SMODE=1) and auto joined the network. I’m able to do all that and even send some test data received at the Node-Red app’s debug column. But the mDot log (monitored through the mini USB connection) reports that there is not data coming through the serial port.

Below is the log:

“.start:549: Enter Serial Mode
    serial_loop:210: Awake
    serial_loop:267: No data received from serial to send.”

Please advice as to what needs to be fixed.

Thanks
    Adhavan Manickam,
    Fluidvision Technologies

Brandon Bayer
    Blocked

Adhavan,

Have you seen this forum thread?: http://www.multitech.net/developer/forums/topic/mdot-serial-data-mode/

Also the two FAQ’s on serial mode at the bottom of this page: https://developer.mbed.org/platforms/MTS-mdot-f411/

-Brandon

Adhavan Manickam
    Participant

Brandon, Yes I did look at them both and that’s how I figured how to set up the AT commands to read serial. I even tried varying the WI, WD & WTO times. But the issue is when I hook up the output from arduino RS232 shield – which is putting out data (verified by reading the serial port on a terminal 115200 8n1) – the debug log says that there is no data coming from the serial port. But if I manually enter data I am receiving it on the conduit.

Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Brandon Bayer
    Blocked

Adhavan,

Ok, understood. Which mDot serial port is the arduino connected to? It should be the same one on which you issue AT Commands. Are you sure the serial connection is correct? I.e. Rx connected to Tx and vice versa?

-Brandon

Adhavan Manickam
    Participant

We got it working, turns out I had a straight through RS232 cable instead of a crossover (pins 2-3 & 3-2). And our Arduino RS232 shield is not behaving as it should. Changing out those 2 components seem to fix the problem. Now I’ll have to figure out how to display the data in ASCII vs HEX on the Node-Red app.

Thanks for the help Brandon & Bryan.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.