iSMS SF800 Multi-Part Sms Messages

Home Forums iSMS iSMS SF800 Multi-Part Sms Messages

Tagged: , , , ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Carel Rootman
    Participant

Is there a way to send Multi-Part SMS messages with the iSMS SF800. We do not want to a sms of more that 160 characters to arrive at the user as 2 separate sms messages but rather use the Multi-Part settings in the sms header in order for the client device to display sms as one message.

Any help will be appreciated.

Darrik Spaude
    Keymaster

Hi Carel,

This is on the road map as a requested feature (possibly early 2013). We’ll inform you via the Support Portal case that you created.

Gustavo Santos
    Participant

Hi, this feature is available?

Darrik Spaude
    Keymaster
    Gustavo Santos
    Participant

Thanks! I will try it today and let you know if it works.

Gustavo Santos
    Participant

Its working via administration page. What´s the directions to send multipart sms like that but via API?

Steven McNeese
    Participant

I am very interested in this as well. I just purchased a SF800 and would like to send text messages longer than 160 characters using the HTTP or TCP integration.

Bryon Davis

Hi,

Sending a multi-part message with the API is the same as sending a regular message, just with a longer text string. The iSMS will automatically split up long messages into multi-parts and send them.

See the User Guide’s Appendix A (page 76) for more information on the API.

User Guide:

http://www.multitech.com/en_US/DOCUMENTS/Collateral/manuals/S000461E.pdf

Regards,

Bryon

Steven McNeese
    Participant

I tested this and although it looks like it will accept message strings larger than 160 characters (1232 in web interface), it still send them as individual messages <= 160 characters split up. For example I sent a message that was 611 characters from the web admin interface and I received 4 separate messages on my iPhone (1of4), (2of4), (3of4) and (4of4). I know for a fact that the iPhone support multi-part text messages. Shouldn’t these have re-assembled into a single message on the device or am I misunderstanding the capability. My firmware on my SF800-G is 1.50.7.

Steven McNeese
    Participant

Any word on this? I am trying to understand if you support Segmentation and Reassembly (SAR) for text messages or if you are just splitting it and sending multiple messages. Sending multi-part text messages is not difficult and should be something you support. Here is some info on the User Data Heading encoding required:

Multipart User Data Header encoding

The UDH for message concatenation will only take 5 bytes, so there are 135 bytes left for the user data. When sending concatenated text messages, you can send 153 characters when using 7-bit text, when using Unicode 67 characters per part.

Byte Value Description

01 00 Information Element Identifier: Concatenated short message, 8bit reference number

02 03 Information Element Data Length (always 03 for this UDH)

03 A4 Information Element Data: Concatenated short message reference, should be same for all parts of a message

04 03 Information Element Data: Total number of parts

05 01 Information Element Data: Number of this part (1/3)

Example of a multipart message consisting of 3 parts containing 300 bytes:

SMS 1 User Data: 00 03 A4 03 01 [ 135 bytes of message data ]

SMS 2 User Data: 00 03 A4 03 02 [ 135 bytes of message data ]

SMS 3 User Data: 00 03 A4 03 03 [ 30 bytes of message data ]

Steven McNeese
    Participant

I upgraded to 1.51.14 and see there is a PDU option and option to concatenate mutli-part messages! This is great. Unfortunately, every message I try to send from the web interface shows an error that International numbers are supported. I am not providing an international number – just 10 digit number. I guess this is why it is a beta release of firmware. Is there a known problem with this beta release?

Steven McNeese
    Participant

I rebooted and now it is working. Hopefully it is not an intermittent bug. Please let me know if their are known issues.

Steven McNeese
    Participant

In PDU and/or the new web interface shows a limit of 1232 characters for the message now. Why this limit? Is this just a limit for the web admin interface or is this a limit for the HTTP/TCP API as well? If this is the new limit for PDU mode, will error code 604 get returned if the message is greater than 1232?

Steven McNeese
    Participant

It appears that the API can exceed the 1232 character limitation shown in the web admin interface. What is the message length limit for the new PDU mode?

Bryon Davis

Hi Steven,
    In my testing the API still sends a maximum of 1232 7-bit ASCII characters in PDU. It allows me to submit a longer messages, but the message will be truncated to 1232 characters.

Regards,
    Bryon

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.