How to upload mbed firmware to mDot

Home Forums mDot/xDot How to upload mbed firmware to mDot

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jean Bédard
    Participant

Hi,

I’ve just got my mDot devkit. It is working with AT commands from the UDK fine. But I still have the 12 Kb removable driver issue (just like with my other DragonFly UDK). I tried to remove and plug-in back the USB but it as NO effect. Still and always 12 KB drive.

I tried to upload a bin file using ST Link Utility (it worked for my DragonFly) but the utility is not able to connect to a target. I am a software developper, so my experience with Embedded is limited but I saw in mbed a friend for developper like me…. the problem is that the UDK seems to be buggy.

How can I upload my own mbed based firmware to the mDot ?

Thanks
    Jean

• This topic was modified 8 years, 5 months ago by Jean Bédard.
    Jason Reiss
    Keymaster

Did you remove power from the UDK?

Jean Bédard
    Participant

Hi Jason,

Yes, I tried all the combinations I could think of:

– USB only, power cycle
    – USB only connected while RESET button ON
    – Power first, then USB
    – Power first, then USB while RESET button ON
    – Software eject the drive with USB Only
    – Software eject the drive with both power and USB connected

Always 12 Kb..
    I don’t necessarily need to upload firmware through the removable drive method… I could use the ST Link Utility method IF it is available (just like with the DragonFly), is it the case ???

Thanks,
    Jean

Brandon Bayer
    Blocked

Jean,

Hmm, this is definitely not normal behavior. Is the blue PWR LED on the UDK lit?

Have you tried a different USB port? Cable? Different computer?
    Some people have had issues where the corporate computer settings blocked USB drives, and they had to flash the mDot using a virtual machine.

-Brandon

Jean Bédard
    Participant

Hi Brandon,

When connected to USB, I got the PWD and D2 leds ON. I can communicate with the mDot using the DB9 port on the UDK fine.

I just tried to connect to a vmWare Windows 7 machine with latest ST Link V2-1 drivers with the exact same result: 12 Kb drive.

I tried two different USB port (one in the back, one in the front panel so that they are using different USB controller), no change.

The drive always contains 3 files: DETAILS.TXT, FAIL.TXT and MBED.HTM. The FAIL.TXT contains: The interface firmware FAILED to reset/halt the target MCU

Brandon Bayer
    Blocked

Jean,

Ok it sounds like your setup is good. Does your mDot have the programming header installed?
    mDot header

-Brandon

Jean Bédard
    Participant

Yes it is exactly this part. I’ve removed the mDot from the UDK and still get a 12 Kb drive… so it looks like it’s a UDK only issue right ??

Jean Bédard
    Participant

I’ve noticed that having the external 9V adapter powering the UDK has no effect.. no LEDs are ON with external power only.

This is not the case when using the DragonFly UDK.

Brandon Bayer
    Blocked

Jean,

Ok, then I can’t think of any more obvious reasons it wouldn’t work. I suggest opening a support case (and link to this thread) for possibly more debugging or UDK replacement.

-Brandon

Anthony Huy
    Participant

Was there a resolution to this? I bought the ones without the header pins and now have soldered on the header pins but not the side pins. I too get the 12KB error. This happens on two boards.

(1) Do I need the side headers?
    (2) Any resolution?

Thanks in advance.

Darrik Spaude
    Keymaster

Hi Anthony,

You will need at least pin 1 on the mDot connected to VDD (5V or 3.3V). The programming header doesn’t have VDD input. See the developer guide for more info on pin locations. VDD should be sourced from a supply with the same ground reference as that of pin 25 (GND) (e.g. jumper pin 1 of X11 on MTUDK2 to pin 1 on the mDot).

http://www.multitech.com/manuals/s000612_1_6.pdf

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.