format sdcard as ext3 when installing flash image

Home Forums MultiConnect OCG format sdcard as ext3 when installing flash image

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Brandon Pedersen
    Participant

Is there any way to format the sd card as ext3 when doing a flash upgrade?

I know I can simply run the commands myself after the upgrade but it would be nice to have it done during the flash upgrade iteself.

Jesse Gilles
    Blocked

No — flashing the device using the SD card only flashes the NAND flash on the unit (kernel and root filesystem). It doesn’t ever change the SD card. The SD card formatting is completely up to the end user — it comes pre-formatted from the factory with a FAT partition on it. You can reformat it using the device itself or any Linux PC.

Out of curiosity, why would you want the SD card re-formatted as part of a flash upgrade?

Brandon Pedersen
    Participant

That is a good question 🙂 I realized after posting this that I actually don’t really need to format it during the upgrade since I will just do it once and it will be done. I was just thinking in terms of deployment, it would be easier to just do the flash and be done with it rather than logging it, formatting it, and then upgrading, but you are right I don’t want to re-format it during every upgrade after that.

Jesse Gilles
    Blocked

🙂 Are you using ext3 instead of FAT for specific features (journalling, sym links, etc) or just preference? Just curious.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.