Documentation of SNR/RSSI stats?

Home Forums mDot/xDot Documentation of SNR/RSSI stats?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jon Ross
    Participant

I’m building a app to use as a useful range tester. I’m trying to send data to a gateway, have the gateway send the rssi back, and then display stats on rssi and snr etc…
    I’ve been playing with the getRssiStats() and getSnrStats() functions. When I’m using ping(), the SNR seems to be completely different in the returned structure than the SNR reported by getSnrStats().
    Is there any documentation (e.g units and calculations) for the various functions, and what they correspond to on the semtech radio?

Jason Reiss
    Keymaster

The ping rssi and snr are the values received by the gateway. We will update mdot.h to document.

AT+PING uses that function and is documented here.
    http://www.multitech.com/manuals/s000612_8.pdf

Jon Ross
    Participant

What is the payload size when using ping(), and is there a way to change it? I’m assuming it’s going to be pretty small by default. I’m trying to test real-world payloads of e.g. 48 bytes to assess range, so I probably need to develop my own ping function that sends larger packets. Is there documentation for the server part of the ping that sends back the rssi and snr of the received packet?
    Thanks!

Brandon Bayer
    Blocked

Jon,

Ping’s payload size is 0.

-Brandon

Mark Stanley
    Participant

Please can you give an example of how to use getRssiStats? I am sure I’m doing something wrong/daft as the 4 values all come back zero.

Thanks

Brandon Bayer
    Blocked

Hey Mark,

If you are getting 4 values back, then you are using it correctly. They will all be zero until you do an OTA join or, if doing manual join, until the mDot receives a packet from the server.

-Brandon

Anthony Huy
    Participant

On the Conduit side, the RSSI bounces all over the place but only in two regions. I get values from -80 to -90 or else -24 to -29. Any ideas why this is so different? This is btw when I send 8 straight messages…..

Jason Reiss
    Keymaster

Do you see consistency with the “rfch” value to each set of values?

There are two radios each setup to listen on 4 frequencies.
    The node will randomly choose a frequency out of the eight.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.