Zeroconf .local support

Home Forums Conduit: AEP Model Zeroconf .local support

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Heath Raftery
    Participant

Often I connect a new Conduit to an old network or an old Conduit to a new network, and find myself doing the find-the-IP-address dance. I’ve long been a fan of Zeroconf (aka Bonjour aka mDNS aka Avahi) and recently rediscovered the delight when connecting to a dusty old Beaglebone required nothing more than connecting an Ethernet cable and typing ssh debian@beaglebone.local.

So I thought I’d have a crack at installing Zeroconf support on the Conduit. Alas I got as far as identifying mLinux’s roots in Yocto/OpenEmbedded, discovering Avahi is the usual way, and then coming up with naught:

opkg list avahi*
    opkg list mdns*
    opkg list nss*

No results! Anyone got any further, or can suggest whether it would be worth trying to add the Avahi package manually?

Christopher Hunt
    Participant

I realise that this is an old post, but I’d like to add that having mDNS available to mLinux would be super helpful for the lora components. In particular, the packet-forwarder in being able to locate a remote network server on my LAN. As it stands, I have to configure the network server to have a static IP address. I’d prefer not to as it means that I have to perform remote configuration on-site with my customer once the equipment has been provided to them.

Is there any chance that mDNS could be made available? I’m using varying versions of mLinux – the one I have in front of me is 4.0.1.

Thanks for any response on this topic.

Christopher Hunt
    Participant

Just to add, in terms of what I’ve tried so far:

1. added to /etc/opkg/mlinux-feed.conf:

src/gz openwrt-arm926ejste https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/packages-18.06/arm_arm926ej-s/packages

2. ran opkg update and saw the above download the package info

3. ran opkg install avahi-utils

Unfortunately, step 3 yields, “opkg_prepare_url_for_install: Couldn’t find anything to satisfy ‘avahi-utils'”. This is mysterious to me… any help here appreciated as avahi-utils appears to exist in that openwrt package repo. Thanks.

Jeff Hatch
    Keymaster

Christopher,

I have been able to reproduce the same thing. The interesting thing is that when I added the openwrt line to the mlinux-feed.conf and do an opkg list, I can see a lot of openwrt stuff that got pulled in from the Packages.gz, but the avahi stuff isn’t there. If I have time I will dig a little more.

Jeff

Christopher Hunt
    Participant

Thanks Jeff. I did dig a little further – it appears that the architecture name that OpenWRT uses is formatted differently. They use arm_arm926ej-s whereas Multitech use arm926ejste. Adding arm_arm926ej-s to /etc/opkg/arch.conf located avahi-utils but it then tripped up looking for libc:

Collected errors:
    * calculate_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for avahi-utils:
    * libc * libc * libc * libc * libc * librt * libc * libc *

…which doesn’t appear to be in the OpenWRT repo…

Would it be possible to ask around within your engineering group? mDNS would be super useful. Thanks for your help.

Jason Reiss
    Keymaster

I am able to compile this package in mLinux. The avahi depends are also built.

MACHINE=mtcdt bitbake -c compile libnss-mdns

http://www.multitech.net/developer/software/mlinux/
    http://www.multitech.net/developer/software/mlinux/mlinux-building-images/building-a-custom-linux-image/

Christopher Hunt
    Participant

Thanks, Jason – any chance that these builds can be made available from the Multitech repositories? I’ve not yet set myself up for building my own images, although of course, I will if that’s what it comes down to. Clearly, there’s potential interest for mDNS on the Multitech devices. Thanks.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.