SSH deamon setup

Home Forums Conduit: AEP Model SSH deamon setup

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mikael Grah
    Participant

Hi,

I’d like to set up the conduit to allow SSH access using RSA keys. In order to do so I set up the conduit with the same set up as I use with other Linux machines, authorized_keys etc.

Next I updated the /etc/ssh/sshd_config (the file is a link to /var/config/ssh/sshd_config) by uncommenting the following lines:

#RSAAuthentication yes
    #PubkeyAuthentication yes
    #AuthorizedKeysFile     .ssh/authorized_keys

I restared the conduit and I can now log in using keys, but the sshd config file seems to have changed back to the original file (or wasn’t changed from the beginning)…? I restarted a couple more times and it still works, maybe I’ve missed something?

Is there documentation available somewhere on how this is supposed to work? Naturally I do not want to disable password login until knowing for sure that the keys will work.

Any comments/suggestions/help is appreciated!

/Mikael

Jeff Hatch
    Keymaster

Mikael,

For key authentication I believe that the lines you inserted are the defaults. If you inserted the lines you as you have displayed them in this thread, they are commented out and would have no affect anyway.

Jeff

Mikael Grah
    Participant

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the reply. I realize that my post was a bit unclear; I uncommented the lines (removed the #’s) but when I reconnected the lines were still commented out.

I can see some of my other configuration changes in the file, changes I’ve made in the GUI, such as chaning the SSH port. Maybe there’s an automatic reqrite of the file at some point in time, for instance when I’m applyin other changes in the Remote Access configuration…

/M

Jeff Hatch
    Keymaster

Mikael,

I think I have found the culprit. The /etc/init.d/sshd script overwrites parts of the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file. I think this may be what is reverting your changes. I’m pretty sure you are right that making Remote Access configuration changes can trigger this overwrite. It will also happen on reboot.

Jeff

Mikael Grah
    Participant

Thank you, that was indeed the cause.

For some reason the init.d-script overwrites the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file with the contents of /var/config/ssh/sshd_config (with some modifications) as part of the start process.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.