Power on sequence, modem off

Home Forums Dragonfly Power on sequence, modem off

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Will Blight
    Participant

I am working on a low current (battery powered) application. Power to the dragonfly is removed most of the time. When power is applied I do not want the modem to power up immediately it uses to much current. I need the M4 to work for a period of time and then power on the modem and send the data.
    I created the code below by combining the HTTP example, Flash example and the low power example code on mbed.
    If I used the HTTP example code the dragonfly powers up, connects to the website and post data in about 15 to 20 seconds. If I use the code below to keep the modem powered down after power has been applied, sometimes (not always) when I power up the modem in code it takes minutes (if ever) to connect to the server and post the data.

My question is: what is the correct sequence of events to power off the modem when power is first applied and to power it back on at a later time?

Thanks.

My code looks like this: (it was nicely formatted before I hit the submit button.)
    Int main()
    {
    //keep modem powered off.
    radio_pwr = 0;
    radio_reset = 0;

bc_nce = 1;
    wait_ms(100);

Process_this();
    Process_that();

log(“changing regulator to 1A mode \n”);
    bc_en1 = 0;
    bc_en2 = 1;
    log(“waking up the SPI flash \n”);
    //flash code not shown.
    flash.wakeup();
    read_values_from_flash();

wait_ms(100);

radio_reset = 1;
    wait_ms(100);

log(“powering on radio \n”);
    radio_pwr = 1;
    radio_reset = 1;
    int tries = 0;

log(“radio_ok = init_mtsas() \n”);
    radio_ok = init_mtsas();
    if (! radio_ok) {
    log(“failed to initialize cellular radio \n”);
    shutdown();
    }

while (radio->sendBasicCommand(“AT”, 1000) != MTS_SUCCESS) {
    //wait(1);
    wait_ms(200);
    tries++;
    if (tries % 100 == 0) {
    radio_reset = 0;
    wait_ms(10);
    radio_reset = 1;
    }
    log(“.”);
    }
    log(“\n”);

log(“setting APN \n”);
    if (radio->setApn(apn) != MTS_SUCCESS) {
    shutdown();
    }

log(“bringing up the link \n”);
    if (! radio->connect()) {
    log(“failed to bring up the link \n”);
    shutdown();
    } else {
    // do HTTP stuff here
    }

shutdown();
    }
    return 0;
    }

Mike Fiore
    Blocked

Will,

The Dragonfly low power example program you mentioned

https://developer.mbed.org/teams/MultiTech/code/Dragonfly_Low_Power_Example/

demonstrates how to properly shut down and turn on the radio.

You should raise the radio_pwr line before raising the radio_reset line. Raising these lines in the opposite order as your application is currently doing could be the cause of your delays, I think.

That is what I noticed right away, but since I don’t have your entire application, I can’t know for sure if there are any other issues.

Cheers,

Mike

Will Blight
    Participant

Hi Mike,
    The rest of the code is from the examples. The HTML section is directly from the HTML example with the a slight change to use “GET” to post data.
    The shutdown() function is the code from the low power example. I am basically waiting for the modem to shutdown so I can remove power from the board safely.

I have thoroughly tested the application code. I use functions outside of the main loop to perform the work I need done. Using printf() with the development kit and my oscilloscope monitoring output pins I can see that my functions complete correctly. The problem is in the modem section.

I will remove the radio_reset from before the radio_pwr.

I see in the while loop code:
    “while (radio->sendBasicCommand(“AT”, 1000) != MTS_SUCCESS)”

that radio_reset is toggled off and on with a 10ms delay between. Is there a delay required between setting radio_pwr and setting radio_reset?

Will.

Mike Fiore
    Blocked

Will,

No delay is required between raising radio power and radio reset. The radio_pwr line just has to be raised first.

Cheers,

-Mike

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.