Modem Network Registration Problem

Home Forums iSMS Modem Network Registration Problem

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Alin Dobre
    Participant

Hello,

I am using a MultiTech MultiModem model MTCBA-G-F2 Serial No. 5001425F. I know that this is different from the iSMS models, but I thought this section was the most appropriate to address my problem to.
    This modem is used along with a Digi (ex-named ZWorld) Rabbit 3200 Developer Board in Bucharest, Romania (Europe).
    I have a problem regarding the network registration. I am using a pre-pay SIM card from Orange Romania. The modems’s LS (Line Status) led always stays red instead of blinking. According to the modem’s manual this indicates that the modem is not registered on the network (its flashing state indicates the network registration). I couldn’t find in the modem’s user guide a special command or protocol for the network registration process (I believe that this should be done automatically once the SIM is inserted in the modem’s slot).
    I know that this is an old model, but could you, please, help me figure this one out? The SIM card was first activated and verified with a phone and it works just fine. Could it be some compatibility issues between the modem (US) and the SIM card (Europe) that I’m using?

Thank you,
    Alin.

Steve Kovarik

Hello Alin

The modem model MTCBA-G-F2 is a dual band modem designed to be used in North America and supports GSM/GPRS at 850/1900MHz.

I feel that in Romania the dual GsM/GPRS frequencies used are 900/1800MHz, which the MTCBA-G-F2 does not support, and probably explains the behavior
    your experiencing.

We had manufactured a model MTCBA-G-F1 that supported 900/1800 and would work
    in Romania.

And since then, our current modems are quad band supporting both N. America
    and Europe (850/900/1800/1900MHz) frequencies.

Let us know any other questions you have.

-Best Regards

Alin Dobre
    Participant

Steve,

Thank you very much for the useful reply.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.