Joing/Rejoining Best Practices for mDot!

Home Forums mDot/xDot Joing/Rejoining Best Practices for mDot!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Ajay K
    Participant

I was reading thru’ the best practices for the LORA in the link below and was hoping to get Multitech’s inputs as to whether the best practices of joining/rejoining the network is handled already by Multitech library for MDot or should we be managing this at our end.

https://lora-developers.semtech.com/library/tech-papers-and-guides/the-book/joining-and-rejoining/

In the article the following section was what I was worried about if that is one of the reasons why we seem to get disconnected from the network and have issues rejoining the network. Most of our mDot’s are at least more than half a mile away from the gateway. In the section below, it mentions varying the DR instead of setting the DR to DR0 if you are trying to join/rejoin the network. If I set the DR to DR0 to start with for US915/AU915, does the mdot library handle varying the DR, if we have enabled ADR. I always assumed starting at DR0, would increase the chances of connecting to the network?

Note: It is important to vary the DR. If you always choose a low DR, join requests will take much more time on air. Join requests will also have a much higher chance of interfering with other join attempts as well as with regular message traffic from other devices. Conversely, if you always use a high DR and the device trying to join the network is far away from the LoRaWAN gateway or sitting in an RF-obstructed or null region, the gateway may not receive a device’s join request. Given these realities, randomly vary the DR and frequency to defend against low signals while balancing against on-air time for join requests.

Thanks,
    Ajay

Ajay K
    Participant

Any thoughts multitech team?

Ajay K
    Participant

Just wanted to some confirmation from Multitech team, does the article regarding best practices, sound accurate, is it something we need to handle in our custom firmware or does the mDot library manage this for us internally such as varying the data rates and frequency?

Thanks,
    Ajay

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.