How can I make one Conduit talk to another over LoRa?

Home Forums Conduit: mLinux Model How can I make one Conduit talk to another over LoRa?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Adam Haun
    Participant

For my application, I need a cellular gateway that can use LoRa as a backup network. I’d like to use class C multicasting to create a LoRa mesh network. My problem is, the Conduits don’t receive each other’s packets. This forum post suggests that I could modify the packet forwarder to change this by “[reversing] the IQ setting”. I searched the gateway’s configuration files and dug through the packet forwarder and LoRa gateway code in the Semtech Git repository, but I didn’t see any obvious filters or IQ settings. The closest thing I found was an option to invert the signal polarity, which didn’t help.

What prevents one Conduit gateway from hearing another’s LoRa packets? And how can I subvert this mechanism so that two Conduits can talk to each other?

Jason Reiss
    Keymaster

You have found the correct setting in “ipol” of the packet forwarder protocol.
    https://github.com/Lora-net/packet_forwarder/blob/master/PROTOCOL.TXT

Using this utility a packet can be received by another gateway running the packet forwarder. The utility sends packets with ipol set to false with an option (-i) to enable inverted polarity.
    admin@mtcdt:/opt/lora/gateway-utils# ./util_tx_test -f 902.3 -r 1257 -b125 -s 12 -c 1 8 -z 24 -k 0 -p27

Other than the ipol setting, the frequency, spreading factory and bandwidth must be set correctly to a channel the conduit is listening for.
    There are 8 – 125 kHz channels, one 250 or 500 kHz channel and one FSK channel.

Adam Haun
    Participant

Excellent! Thank you for the information, Jason. I’ll try to get this working. One question, though — my Conduit is an MTCDT-H5, and seems to have a USB connection to the LoRa module. The gateway’s util_tx_test doesn’t seem to work with a USB connection. Is there another version of the utility that works with my gateway?

Thanks,
    -Adam

Jason Reiss
    Keymaster

Sending this json with a binary header to the down port of the packet forwarder should also work. The PROTOCOL.TXT file referenced above provides the info needed for the header.
    {"txpk":{"codr":"4/5","data":"oFxUlwEQRAAB8UObZx4=","datr":"SF8BW125",,"freq":921.9,"ipol":false,"modu":"LORA","ncrc":true,"powe":20,"rfch":0,"size":14,"imme":true}}

Try to install the usb gateway utils.

opkg update
    opkg install lora-gateway-usb-utils

This will create directory /opt/lora

If opkg cannot connect to feed you can update the url in the following file
    Check /etc/opkgd/mlinux-feed.conf

To find the mlinux version
    cat /etc/issue

A list of feed paths are available here
    http://multitech.net/mlinux/feeds/

Adam Haun
    Participant

It works! Thanks, Jason, that was exactly what I needed!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.