C/C++ toolchain?

Home Forums Conduit: AEP Model C/C++ toolchain?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Martin Gagnon
    Participant

Hello all,
    I’m new to the Conduit AEP product line and I’m looking at building a C/C++ app for AEP. I found http://www.multitech.net/developer/software/mlinux/mlinux-software-development/mlinux-c-toolchain/ in the mLinux docs, but nothing in the AEP docs.

Is the mLinux toolchain appropriate for AEP?
    If so, is AEP built on top of mLinux 3 or 4? They seem to have different requirements.
    If not, which toolchain should I use for C/C++ development on AEP?

Currently running a MTCDT-H5-210A Firmware1.4.16

Thanks

Jeff Hatch
    Keymaster

Martin,

To find out what version of mLinux your AEP is based off of, at the command line execute “cat /etc/issue” and you should see the mLinux version. From there you can check out the appropriate version of mLinux and build against that. I believe that AEP 1.4.16 is built against mLinux 3.3.22.

Jeff

Martin Gagnon
    Participant

3.3.22 right on.
    Just came back here to post uname -a output…
    Thank you Jeff, that was quick!

Martin

Jeff Hatch
    Keymaster

Martin,

You’re welcome! Let us know if you have any more questions.

Cheers,

Jeff

Mark Linneman
    Participant

Jeff,

I just posted a related question on another topic, but having now read this thread I gather that the same mLinux operating system is running on my Node-Red AEP product as runs in the other product, sometimes referred to as the “mLinux” product. If that’s correct, then I should be able to go to the “mLinux” application development documentation to learn more about how to develop applications for my AEP unit, keeping in mind that I am using Node-Red. (My Linux version is 3.12.27r15.)

Am I on the right track now? Thanks.

– Mark

Jeff Hatch
    Keymaster

Mark,

You are on the right path. If you are adding nodes or node-js modules that need “cross-compilation” in order to install and work on Conduit, then you should be able to build the nodes or modules with the mLinux distribution or the SDK.

Jeff

Mark Linneman
    Participant

Jeff,

Thanks for clarifying that. I’m now cross-compiling C programs under Ubuntu 14.04 and executing them on the Conduit Application Execution Platform. These mLinux applications are in turn being called by Node Red “exec” nodes. Since at this point I’m planning to stick with Node Red on the AEP, I need to know what my options are in terms of upgrading to a newer version of mLinux. My Conduit came with firmware v. 1.4.16 and mLinux version 3.3.22 and Node Red version 0.15.3. Does the use of Node Red limit my upgrading of mLinux? Thanks.

– Mark

Jeff Hatch
    Keymaster

Mark,

There is a new version of AEP called AEP-1.6.2 that is based on mLinux 4. What version of mLinux are you targeting?

Jeff

Mark Linneman
    Participant

Jeff,

I’m not looking for any specific version of mLinux, but I’ve read that it’s suggested to use Ubuntu 14.04 with mLinux 3, but and Ubuntu 16.04 may be used with mLinux 4. So it seems like a good idea to try to use the most recent version of mLinux that is known to work well with the Conduit and with Node Red in order to not have to use too old a version of Ubuntu for developing C/C++ applications with.

Is there an upgrade of Node Red that is required to go to AEP-1.6.2 and mLinux 4? Thanks.

– Mark

Jeff Hatch
    Keymaster

Mark,

The same version of Node-RED and node-js runs on AEP-1.6.2. The Conduit is locked at Node-RED 0.15.03 and node-js at 0.10.x due to hardware limitations (the ARM processor is armV5 architecture and does not support the newer versions of node-js and Node-RED). If you have developed applications on AEP-1.4.x in Node-RED, they should work on AEP-1.6.2.

Jeff

Mark Linneman
    Participant

Jeff,

That’s great. There are discussions in the forum about making this upgrade to AEP 1.6.2 but was never clear on whether that eliminated the possibility of using Node Red.

I see that AEP 1.6.2 is pretty new. I’ll take a look at the discussions about any issues with the new firmware. Thanks.

– Mark

MaxVerrijzer
    Participant

Hello all,

I am looking to build a custom app on the Multitch conduit-AP MTCAP-868-001A. I am not sure which version of the C/C++ toolchain I should use so I tried the steps outlined by Mark but “cat /etc/issue” resulted in: “cat/etc/issue: No such file or directory” does anyone know what I’m doing wrong? or which steps I could take to find out what version of MLinux I should build for?

The firmware version I’m on is: MPower 5.3.3 I’m connected to the gateway through a SSH connection using Cygwin.

Kind regards,

Max Verrijzer

Jeff Hatch
    Keymaster

Hello Max,

When using the cat command in your example it looks like there is a space missing between ‘cat’ and ‘/etc/issue’. I get the same error when issuing the same thing. With a space after ‘cat’ it will display the contents of the argument ‘/etc/issue’.

admin@mtcdt:~$ cat /etc/issue
         _        _____     ____
        / \\      | ____|   |  _ \\
       / _ \\     |  _|     | |_) |
      / ___ \\  _ | |___  _ |  __/_
     /_/   \\_\\(_)|_____|(_)|_|  (_)

MultiTech Systems Application Enablement Platform with mLinux GNU/Linux

mLinux 6.0.2 \n \l

Version: 6.0.1
    Date: 2022-09-01T18:08:36

Jeff

MaxVerrijzer
    Participant

Thank you jeff this fixed the issue for me.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.