LoRa Basics Station with USB (MTAC-LORA-1.0) Lora card

Home Forums Conduit: AEP Model LoRa Basics Station with USB (MTAC-LORA-1.0) Lora card

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Heath Raftery
    Participant

Seems like a straight-forward issue, but I’ve spent the day trying to pin it down and the answer remains elusive:

Is the new “LoRa Basics Station”, aka “Basic Station”, in the new firmware version 5.3.0 compatible with the old MTAC-LORA-1.0 USB Lora cards?

I have a MTCDT-H5-210A Conduit and have recently upgraded the firmware. At the same time I was looking to upgrade the packet forwarder and noticed Basic Station is the recommended path. I’ve successfully installed it, configured it to forward to The Things Network. It runs happily and checks-in with TTN, but never uploads any packets and never updates its conf file from the server.

If I run station manually to see the logs, I see that it repeatedly loops around trying to connect to the server. There’s lots of error messages but from what I can see most of them are normal. The not-so-normal error is says: “Concentrator start failed: lgw_start”

One thing I tried was changing the SPI device setting in station.conf. Putting in an invalid path did not change the log outcomes!

That lead me to believe that the software wasn’t hitting the LoRa card at all.

So is the new “LoRa Basics Station” compatible with the old MTAC-LORA-1.0 USB Lora cards? If so, is there any special configuration?

• This topic was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Heath Raftery. Reason: typos
    Heath Raftery
    Participant

Sure enough, I tried again on another Conduit that also has a 1.0 card and had the same (non) result. I then tried on yet another Conduit (a MTCDT-247A this time) with a 1.5 card, using the same procedure, and this time it worked.

Jason Reiss
    Keymaster

The USB cards are only supported for use with the UDP packet forwarder.

New card designs are using SPI and HAL is only provided for the SPI interface with the latest software from Semtech.

Heath Raftery
    Participant

Great. Hopefully this thread saves someone else 8 hours of futile debugging!

Jason Reiss
    Keymaster

I added a note in the doc.
    http://www.multitech.net/developer/software/lora/running-basic-station-on-conduit/

Here is a link to the Basic Station documentation.
    https://doc.sm.tc/station/

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.