Installing Debian instead of Angstrom

Home Forums MultiConnect OCG Installing Debian instead of Angstrom

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Alexey Klimenko
    Participant

Hi,
    I know that my question seems strange but I want to ask if there is a way to install Debian on OCD instead of the Angstrom-based CoreCDP.

If yes, any hints on this, anything to be concerned about?

Regards

Mike Fiore
    Blocked

Hi Alexey,
    CoreCDP is currently the only distribution that Multi-Tech supports for the OCG platform.

May I ask why you’d like to install Debian instead?

-Mike

Alexey Klimenko
    Participant

Hi Mike,
    The main reason for Debian is how painful is to work with CoreCDP OpenEmbedded version. Lots of packages are old and instead of focusing on creating the application logic I need to figure out how to create BitBake recipes for what I need (which is quite hard for me as I lack expertise in it).
    For example the only version of python that worked out of the box was 2.6.6. Bitbake cannot assemble version 2.7.1 for me.

I understand that in the right hands this toolset is quite powerful but for me I tend to spend much more time on figuring how to compile things rather than writing production code.
    I guess it is not that good comparison, but for instance we had very positive experience with Beaglebone running Debian.

Regards,
    Alexey

Mike Fiore
    Blocked

Alexey,
    I definitely understand where you’re coming from! It is unfortunate that the most powerful tools are usually the ones with the steepest learning curve as well!

We are aware that OE Classic is deprecated and are hoping to have a version of CoreCDP based on OE Core released in the future. I am unaware of any current plans to support other distributions like Debian, but I will follow up on that suggestion.

Thanks!
    Mike

Alexey Klimenko
    Participant

Mike,
    Thank you!

Regards,
    Alexey

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.