Cellular is not used but has traffic

Home Forums Conduit: AEP Model Cellular is not used but has traffic

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Christos Mourouzis
    Participant

Hello,

I have a MTCDT-LEU1-210L-EU-GB gateway. I configured Cellular connection and I tested it. Everything works fine with having Cellular as a primary network interface.

What I want to do is to have Ethernet as a primary network interface and when the connection fails for some reason then switch to Cellular until the Ethernet interface re-establishes a successful connection.

I now have Ethernet (as WAN) and Cellular both enabled with Ethernet priority to be 1 and Cellular priority to be 2. I can see in the AEP Home Page that WAN Transport interface is Ethernet. Both interfaces have as Failover Mode: Active.

In the Statistics section in Status & Log I can see that I have some traffic on the Cellular connection with the result of me being charged. Is there any way of configuring Cellular connection as being used only when necessary? Why is Cellular having traffic while Ethernet is selected as the primary network interface? Do I need to configure anything else?

Thank you very much.

Christos

Jeff Hatch
    Keymaster

Christos,

The “Dial-on-Demand” feature in the Cellular configuration may help you in this regard. If the traffic is not outgoing, the Cellular connection should remain down. Do you have “ICMP/TCP Check” enabled on the Cellular interface. That would cause traffic on your Cellular interface.

Jeff

Steve Kovarik

Hi Christos

In addition to configuring cellular for “dial-on-demand” I would also suggest
    under “Setup” then “WAN” for the Cellular entry, edit the failover configuration
    “Monitoring Mode” to be Passive rather than active.

-Best Regards

Christos Mourouzis
    Participant

Thanks to both for your answers. I also tried your suggestions. Now I have, cellular and “dial-on-demand” enabled. In WAN settings, ethernet is in Active Failover Monitoring mode for every 60s-ICMP with priority equal to 1 and cellular is in Passive Failover Monitoring mode with priority equal to 2. The gateway is connected to ethernet for sure and has a valid SIM card installed.

The problem is that when I save and restart the cellular connection is started first and then switches to ethernet. Then instead of closing the cellular connection, the gateway has both enabled and running the ethernet and cellular connections (WAN Transport=Ethernet and PPP link is up).

If i “ifconfig eth0” and “ifconfig ppp0” in the terminal (ssh to gateway) I can see much bigger traffic in ethernet but cellular still has increasing traffic (RX and TX packets).

I can’t understand why the cellular connection starts first. If ethernet started then I guess, cellular would be down due to the “dial-on-command”.

Do you have any more suggestions to do or try?

Best,

Christos

Steve Kovarik

Hi Christos

My Conduit Gateway (firmware 1.6.2) behaves similar on “restart” where both
    the Ethernet and cellular PPP are active after boot-up until the idle timeout
    setting (180s) expires on the cellular dial-on demand settings. Then the
    CD LED (Carrier Detect) on front panel goes off indicating the cellular packet data connection was terminated. What is the status of the CD LED on
    your Conduit Gateway after the device sits for five minutes after a reboot?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.