LoRa Network Server – End device not joining

Home Forums Lora Network Server LoRa Network Server – End device not joining

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Hello!

I have Multitech MTCDTIP-L4E1-266A-868 gateway. My current settings are (there are listed only different than default):
    – LoRaWAN –> Network Settings:
    * Mode: NETWORK SERVER
    * Channel plan: EU868
    * Channel mask: FFFF (all selected – not sure that is correct)
    * Network mode: PUBLIC LoRaWAN
    * Log destination: FILE

– LoRaWAN –> Key Management:
    Here I added “Local End-Device Credentials” for my Lansitec temperature
    and humidity sensor. I entered DevEUI, AppEUI and AppKey. It is A class
    device, so I selected class A, EU868 profile and Network profile DEFAULT
    CLASS A.
    * Local Network settings: not enabled

I just want to get some data successfully on my network server and see it in Node-Red. In packets I can see one JnReq packet, all the others are Unknown. In Status&Logs tab, tab LoRa I can only see CRC errors and none JoinRequests. Also if I try SSH and check log files in /var/log, file lora-network-server.log, I can’t find any DEBUG message or any join request.

Can anybody tell me what is going on? What configuration is wrong? I am new with LoRa gateways so please help me 🙂

Thanks in advance!

Jason Reiss
    Keymaster

What firmware version are you using?

Does the one JnReq match the DEV-EUI of your device?

Did you restart the network server after adding the device credentials?
    Did you try a Save and Restart of the gateway?

Do not set the channel mask if you are unsure, the default is blank and the network server will choose the correct mask. The setting is only needed if you are networking multiple gateways to cover additional channels.

Looks like my Lansitec temperature and humidity sensor was off. I unscrewed 4 screws, flipped power switch to ON and “voilà!” It works 😀 I can see received packets and communication is successful. Jason Reiss, thank you for quick reply. We engineers should always check basis 😀

Jason Reiss
    Keymaster

Good to hear. Let us know if you run into any other issues.

Uplink is now working fine. But I would like to test some downlink. I want to change period of temperature and humidity report. I am not sure how to do it. I am using LoRaWAN –> Operations tab. I select Message type. I don’t know which port to select? How can I find correct port? Documentation of sensor is not mentioning any ports. Please check out link below to see registers and bytes for downlink message of sensor.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1X5cj0AH5T5ttEs-3be5iqu1VvMkkyKl6/view?usp=sharing

Also, please provide example for either Hexadecimal or Base64 format for this specific downlink message. I am new at LoRa systems and some things are confusing me.

Thanks in advance!

Jason Reiss
    Keymaster

Use the downlink queue to send unicast messages.
    This can be done programmatically through MQTT.
    http://www.multitech.net/developer/software/lora/lora-network-server/mqtt-messages/

The operations page is for devices supporting lorawan multicast and fuota applications. Details can be found in the technical documents here. Not all devices will have support this.

https://lora-alliance.org/resource-hub

I am trying with Downlink queue but no success. Please check below settings for downlink queue:

* DevEUI: choosen correct
    * App port: 1
    * Data format: Hex
    * Data: 090006
    * Ack attempts: 0
    * Rx window: 0

Please check again image I posted in previous post to see my device’s registers and bytes. Thanks in advance.

Jason Reiss
    Keymaster

Is the device sending periodic uplinks? A class A device will only receive after sending an uplink.
    Does the downlink disappear from the queue?
    Do you see a downlink packet on the Packets page after queuing the downlink?

I am not familiar with that module and its operation to comment on ports to use or format of payloads.

Device is sending periodic uplinks every 5 minutes. Yes, downlink does disappear from the queue. I do not see any downlink packet in the Packets page. I am not sure what to do. I tried sending downlink in Node-Red, but situation is the same.

Now it’s all working fine. Thanks for support.

SaSa
    Participant

hello all,

I have literally the same problem as you. but I know that my sensor has not a On/Off button. so I put my server identifiers in “payload broker” (as shown in the screenshot).

first of all I wanted to know if the identifiers are in the pertinent place? wjat could be exactly the problem in our case

thank you in advance for your supports and your helps

network server

I can’t see your screenshot, can’t download it.

Is problem with uplink or downlink? I’m sory but I don’t understand exactly what is your problem. Please give us more information.

SaSa
    Participant

thanks @Miha, I solved this problem. Actually I have another issue. simply I Registered an end-device and we are receiving payloads from correctly. so I tried to add an 2nd end-device. the problem is that I can see both end-device in whitelist and also in config page but any payload in packets.

thank in advance for your help.

Please be more specific and accurate when writing your posts.

1st device works OK and you also see its payload?
    2nd device is registered but you don’t see any payload packets?
    Is the above correct?

Do you see join packets from 2nd device? Are you sure the device is sending payloads? Check your time interval between on the device for sending uplink. Many sensors have long time intervals (12 hours or 24 hours); therefore you have to configure correct downlink and wait for the next uplink. If your device is A-class, you have to wait for the next uplink for downlink to be configured on the device.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.