Connecting to WAN

Home Forums Conduit: AEP Model Connecting to WAN

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mike OMara
    Participant

Hello,

I have been messing around with my Multitech AEP Conduit and have been having a heck of a time getting things to work. I have enabled all the WAN options, and then I was given the following data to input into the unit:

IoT Static IP

IP: 192.96.168.161
    SM: 255.255.255.254
    GW: 192.96.168.160

DNS: 192.96.168.2
    DNS: 192.96.172.2

However, when I input this data in I am given an error that says “invalid gateway” and cannot proceed.

The other thing I am having issues with is whenever I reset the conduit with new information, I cannot connect again after I set it up with WAN settings. I plug it into the network but cannot reach the conduit anymore (for example if I just set the IP to the one above and no other changes, I cannot connect to the gateway using that IP).

I appreciate any help I can get, this is my first time using this tech so I am very unfamiliar with how it all works. In the end, I want this to be set up in another town about 15 minutes from here and be able to connect to it from my office.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
    -Mike

Jeff Hatch
    Keymaster

Mike,

When you specify a subnet mask (netmask) of 255.255.255.254, you are specifying a subnet of two addresses. If this is what you want you would only be able to route to your own address and one other (in this case the gateway’s). Any traffic to the internet should be routed to the gateway, but you will not be able to directly route to anything else on the 192.96.161.0 subnet. You may be able to reach them through another interface and different gateway. I think that may be why the gateway is invalid. While this may be a valid configuration, it won’t accomplish much locally. That said, I think that this is a bug.

As for after you reset the conduit, I don’t think that 192.96.0.0/16 is a network-local address. If you try to connect to it without a gateway configured, and your PC is on a different subnet or network, you will not be able to connect.

I would recommend trying a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 first and see if you can then define the gateway you want and see if that works. Then try a more restrictive subnet mask. I agree that you should be able to define the subnet mask that you first tried.

Jeff

Mike OMara
    Participant

After some trial and error I was able to discern that subnets of 255.255.255.0, 128, and 192 all worked with the rest of the information while anything above that did not.

I figured out that to access the gateways new IP configuration I needed to set my computer to static and use the same IP information to be able to log into it again.

Thanks for the reply Jeff

– Mike

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.