Accessing Multitech from internet (cellular) with SSH

Home Forums Conduit: AEP Model Accessing Multitech from internet (cellular) with SSH

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Antti Nissinen
    Participant

Hi!
    We have some gateways on sites and I should be able to access those with SSH to have access to the console. I have enabled the SSH connection from WAN (Administration – Access Configuration – SSH – Enabling and checking “Via WAN”).
    The IP address shown by the multitech information on both in DeviceHQ and on the device itself is something that is definitely not provided by the operator of Cellular network (Elisa in Finland).

The normal ssh command ssh admin@<ip_addreess> does not work.

What I should actually set on Multitech to be able to access console through via SSH? Is the IP address shown in DeviceHQ for the device the correct one?

BR, Antti

Hi!

I’m actually trying to do the same thing. I haven’t accomplished to connect directly yet. I’m currently working on a workaround using OVPN. If I have any success I’ll let you know.

If it’s not too much trouble, ask your cellular network provider, if they are blocking any ports on their network.

A.R.

Antti Nissinen
    Participant

Hi!

Actually yesterday the Network provider confirmed yesterday that they are using NAT and direct connection with SSH from outside is not possible.

I’ve contacted my network provider regarding this issue and I’m awaiting an answer – which will probably be same as yours.

I believe this issue can be bypassed using the OpenVPN solution – which I’m currently working on (no success yet). I’ll post any updates here.

I contacted my provider and kindly requested for a Public IP address for my SIM Card. They accepted right away and after 30mins I had a public IP available which means no more NAT. I can contact my gateway now via Cellular Network without a problem (you only need to know your current IP address – solved with DDNS Service or OVPN as I’ve mentioned before).

I believe you can request a Public IP. Although many providers prefer NATing, there should be an option for a public IP.
    Be careful, the provider might misunderstand that you are requesting a Static IP and not a Public IP.

Antti Nissinen
    Participant

Thank you for your answer! If you are now looking the IP address of gateway through the deviceHQ cloud service can you see the correct public IP address? (Devices page and IP address under PPP title on the left side)

It is a great service to have to be honest. But I don’t consider ideal the 4 Hour minimum interval. I’d use a free backup solution like no-ip, just to feel safe.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.