What is the reference voltage used by AnalogIn() on the mDot?

Home Forums mDot/xDot What is the reference voltage used by AnalogIn() on the mDot?

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Frank A
    Participant

Hi,

I am currently experimenting with the mDot, and I was wondering what is the reference voltage used by AnalogIn() in mbed. Is it 3.3V or 3.0V? If it’s 3.0V, does it mean that using a voltage source greater than 3.0V (i.e. between 3.3V and 5.0V) into the analog pin (in “input mode”) could damage the mDot?

I read a few tutorials on ARM mbed’s website about AnalogIn(), and those examples where talking about a 3.3V reference voltage, but those were for different modules (i.e. not the mDot), thus the confusion. But from looking at page 26 of the mDot developer guide, I understand that pin 24 (named Vout/Vref) outputs 3.0V @25ma, so I guess that one of the main purposes of that pin is to be used with analog inputs, which suggests that the analog inputs on the mDot use 3.0V as a reference voltage. Is that correct?

Thank you for your time and support. A+

Frank

• This topic was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by Frank A.
    Frank A
    Participant

Hi,

I just stumbled upon this thread on this forum, in which it is mentioned that the mDot’s reference voltage for analog inputs is indeed 3V. So I guess this does answer part of my original question, but could this please be confirmed with a quick reply?

That being said, the last part of my initial question is: Is pin 24 of the mDot intended to be used (among other things), for instance, to help power analog sensors (e.g. pin 20 in analog input mode; AnalogIn(A0))?

Thank you for your time and support.

Frank

Peter Ferland
    Blocked

Pin 24 is connected to ADC voltage supply input, which is tied to an on board regulated 3V source. You can use it for sensors up to that 25mA limit.

Frank A
    Participant

Thank you for confirming this Peter. A+ 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.