MTUDK2-ST Serial Access

Home Forums mDot/xDot MTUDK2-ST Serial Access

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Rick St John
    Participant

I’m trying to send AT commands to an mDot mounted on a MTUDK2-ST board through the serial access (J4 RS232) using the following instructions: http://www.multitech.net/developer/software/mdot-software/mdot-firmware-upgrade/

I’m using TeraTerm; the computer (Windows 10) sees the serial connection, however, I’m not able to give the mDot any AT commands through TeraTerm – Nothing shows up in the TeraTerm window when I type the commands. I’ve moved the jumper between pins 1, 2 and 3 and tried with both 9V attached and unattached.

What I’m ultimately trying to do is take a newer MDot (serial 20121591) and revert the software back to an older mDot version. Per the instructions, it appears I have to give it AT commands to complete the software reversion. Thanks.

Steve Kovarik

Hi Rick

Can you verify your developer board model (MTUDK2-ST-MDOT or MYTDK2-ST-CELL)
    Is TeraTerm configured for 115200, 8, None, 1, Flow Control – None.
    Is the mDot brand new (running AT Command firmware) or has it been programmed
    before?
    Does the mDot successfully enumerate as a drive on Windows 10.

-Best Regards

Rick St John
    Participant

Order part #: MTUDK2-ST-CELL. Serial # 18085756; we probably purchased it 4 years ago, so it is pretty old. The MDot is brand new; tried to program it on our own sensor board, which is our normal procedure. It does show up as a drive on Windows 10. I’ve since tried to put versions mdot-firmware-0.1.4.bin, mdot-firmware-1.0.8.bin and mdot-firmware-1.0.8-1.bin. It seems to add properly, but I can’t give it the AT commands – are they even necessary? Thanks.

Rick St John
    Participant

When I say I tried to program it on our sensor board, our normal procedure is to attach a new mDot to the sensor board, then program the sensor board. The sensor appears to boot up properly, but the mDot is not connecting/communicating with the conduit properly.

Steve Kovarik

Hi Rick

Can you try and recover the mDot by programming the latest version 3.1.0 and see what happens.
    http://www.multitech.net/developer/downloads/

Rick St John
    Participant

Are the AT commands required following programming?

Rick St John
    Participant

Unable to give it AT commands via Tera Term and does not connect to conduit when attached to sensor.

Steve Kovarik

Hi Rick

If the AT Command firmware is programmed onto the mDot, you would use
    AT Commands to verify the version (ati) and also configure the mDot to join
    a specific LoRa Network by programming the necessary parameters (AppEUI,
    AppKEY,frequency sub-band, Public/Private Network mode, join delay, ect).

When using the MTUDK2-ST-CELL developer board first power the board with the
    9VDC power supply then plug the micro USB to your Windows 10. You will need
    to issue AT commands through the physical RS232 DB9 serial interface.
    I suspect your Windows10 does not have native serial interface so you are
    likely using a USB-to-Serial adapter…correct?
    In Device Manager under “Ports” which port are you selecting in TeraTerm?
    Be sure in TeraTerm Flow Control is se to None.

Rick St John
    Participant

We send all of the configuration settings to the mDot when we program it on our sensor board. We normally just attach an mDot to our product without any of these intermediate steps with the MTUDK2-ST-CELL board. I’m using a USB to serial adapter. Device comes up as COM12. Flow control is set to none, 115,200 rate. Still not able to send any commands.

UPDATE: We have 2 shipments of mDots in house; the first has serial numbers beginning with 20 – the problem one specifically is 20121591. The other series has serial numbers beginning with 19 – specifically 19056321. I installed the 19 series board onto our sensor and programmed it up as if it were a fresh sensor – worked with no issues. Unable to achieve the same results with the 20 series mDot. Questions: Do these mDots serial versions have different underlying firmware versions? Perhaps I have some how corrupted the 20 series mDot when first programming it with our sensor; still unable to bring it back to life. I can load new firmware on it, but can’t get it to work with our conduit.

Steve Kovarik

Hi Rick

Sounds like you’re doing everything right.
    After reverting a mDot to an older revision an AT command is not required to complete the software revision.
    mDot serial number 19056321 shipped with firmware 2.0.16
    mDot serial number 20121591 shipped with firmware 3.1.0

It is unclear why you can not communicate with the mDot in the developer board using AT Commands.
    Are you able to successfully issue AT Commands to 19056321 in a developer board?

Rick St John
    Participant

Steve,

No, can’t send AT commands to the 19 series mDot. Good to know that the AT commands are not necessary when reverting software back, but was still unable to make the 20 series work in our system with reverted firmware.

Is the 19056321 using the 2.0.16 or 2.0.16-1 firmware?

Once I build up another sensor, I’ll attach a 20 series to see if the sensor will program properly.

Steve Kovarik

Hi Rick

19056321 shows version 2.0.16
    I feel that the 20 series my have some settings that default differently then previous versions.
    I may have you open a Support Portal case to discuss further.

-Best Regards

Rick St John
    Participant

Steve,

Agree concerning support portal/ticket. I am concerned about the 20 series and newer firmware and or settings. Our product at the moment does not function with the 20 series unless we can figure out why it would not take the initial program sequence attached to our sensor.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.