mDot UART (RX) issues on DK and micro DK

Home Forums mDot/xDot mDot UART (RX) issues on DK and micro DK

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Peter Barsznica
    Participant

G’day all,

I am having issues connecting two different GPS modules’ (UART) output to a mDot:

Originally, I tried using the DK:
    Connecting a RPi3 to it works, as does a “Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge”, but a Mikroelektronika “GNSS 5 Click” or Quectel “L80-R” does not “show up”.
    I measured a dramatic drop in p-p voltage swing (from 3V3 to about 0V33) when connecting the GPSs’ UART_TX to the UART_RX pin (Arduino D0) of the DK (incorrectly labelled D1 on the available schematic).

The GPSs UART outputs work correctly when driving a Pi or the UART Bridge.
    Also, the GPSs UART outputs work correctly if the mDot is removed from the DKs and powered externally!

I cannot see any issues with the schematics causing this. As far as I can tell, the uDK doesn’t modify the signal at all (no resistors (apart from 0 Ohm) and no caps!).
    The DK is labelled “MTUDK2-ST, B/O:MDOT, P/N:MTUDK2-ST-MDOT, SKU# 94558010LF, DOM: 2016.11.17, Serial:(S)18994413” and
    the uDK is labelled “Model: MTMDK-ST-MDOT, SKU #: 94558020LF, Serial#:19544825, DOM:201801.15”.

As I hope you can see, I have proven that every component works well when connected to “something else”, but has issues when using either of the DKs. I, also, hope you can see this is not a Baud rate (or any other setting) issue!

I have looked hard, but have not found any reference to the problem I am experiencing.

Any ideas, please?

Hi Peter,

My suspicion is that RXD and TXD need to be switched.
    Please see JP98 on page 54.
    https://www.multitech.com/documents/publications/manuals/s000612_DB9.pdf
    TXD and RXD can be swapped via jumpers on JP98. Looks like we had the naming wrong but corrected it on our latest boards.

Kind regards,
    Leon

Peter Barsznica
    Participant

Hi,
    The micro DevKit does not have these jumpers!
    I have, also, tried outputting into the TX pin.

As I mentioned, I have the correct setup, as I can feed a signal into it from a Raspberry Pi and a “Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge”!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.