LoraWan Packet Repeater

Home Forums Lora Network Server LoraWan Packet Repeater

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I want to use some kind of lora-wan packet repeater or Amplifier that would amplify the lora signal, so that I can use this kind of repeater in place where there are blind spots. I know about packet forwarder, but it would forward the lora packets on some TCP/IP socket and would need some 3G or Ethernet/Wifi which is not an option for me. I was looking at few websites and they mention that repeaters work for lora but don’t work for lora-wan. If that is true, want to understand reason why they won’t work for lora-wan. And what would be the other alternative.

Jason Reiss
    Keymaster

Uplink packets can be repeated, however this will break downlinks as the Rx windows are not longer in-sync with the network.

The gateways and network would need knowledge of a repeater protocol to be fully functional in a LoRaWAN network. There is no such functionality available in current firmware.

I wanted to check if the below mechanism to forward packets on lora is possible,

1. I will connect an mdot to a multitech conduit configured as packet forwarder (it will not be connected on ethernet though).

2. whenever it receives a lora packet it might fail to forward packet on tcp since it isn’t connected on ethernet.

3. However I will intercept this packet using a custom script and then this script will try to send the packet using mdot connected on usb port of conduit.

please let me know if this configuration works and if so how can I intercept lora message on packet forwarder. You can find the image of my configuration in this link https://ibb.co/s1cwDSq. If this configuration doesn’t work can you suggest me any feasible alternatives.

Jason Reiss
    Keymaster

The mdot is a single channel device. Packet forwarder software does not communicate with a dot over USB.

The packet forwarder uses the concentrator card to listen on 8 frequencies and 6 datarates creating 48 virtual 125 khz lora channels.
    The gateway can also transmit lora packets.
    An app on the gateway can also transmit packets.

The ipol setting for pkt fwd json will need to be set to true for other gateways to hear.
    https://github.com/Lora-net/packet_forwarder/blob/master/PROTOCOL.TXT

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.