LAN and WAN on the same interface

Home Forums General LAN and WAN on the same interface

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I want to use a Conduit as GSM backup router for some devices already connected to the lan, at differents places.
    Is possible to set Eth0 to work as WAN and LAN at the same time ?

I tried to set the conduit IP adress as default gateway in the devices configuration.
    If Eth0 is set as LAN, other devices can access internet through GSM access but not throught WAN Gateway.
    If Eth0 is set as WAN, other devices cannot access internet at all.

Must I use Eth0 as WAN and a MTAC-ETH board as LAN do to that ?

Jeff Hatch
    Keymaster

Denis,

I would recommend using Ethernet as a LAN. What do you plan on using as your Internet backhaul?

Jeff

We connect devices – which must keep connection with our servers- to customer LAN. If the internet link of the LAN goes down, we want the Conduit to be able to send data over the GSM network.
    In LAN settings, there is no “default gateway” entrie. I assume the Conduit cannot access internet then.

Jeff Hatch
    Keymaster

Denis,

A LAN (Local Area Network) connection refers to a network with implications that there is no Internet access. A WAN (Wide Area Network) connection refers to a network that generally has Internet access.

On your Conduit you will want your devices to connect to the Ethernet LAN and use a different interface (WiFi, Cellular, …) as the backhaul connected to the Internet. A WAN interface is the interface that typically has the default gateway configured.

The Conduit has the ConnTrak and routing modules to accept traffic and send it out on the Internet. With the use of static routes and firewall rules routing from the LAN to the WAN and onto the Internet can be restricted and controlled.

Jeff

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.